17 contemplating weight loss surgery...

Alexis A.
on 8/26/11 1:01 am
My name is Lexii and I am 17 years old and currentl weigh 207 pounds at 5'7.5" . My mother recently has had weight loss surger and I am seriously considering it. I've tried all sorts of diets and nothing has worked, I'm at a loss. I have diabetes, heart disease, thyroid disease ,stroke and cancer throughout my family, and I do not want to end up dying young. I have done some plus size modeling  which is the only thing holding me back because I love doing that, but I know that I could be much healthier if I lost weight. I just don't know w what to do , is weight loss surgery to extreme because I'm just over the 30 BMI?? (31.7) UGH!
~Lexii
Ashley O.
on 8/26/11 3:29 am
Hey(: I'm Ashley. I just had the VSG a week ago.. and i turned 16 this monday. lol. I know what you mean.. I have all of that throughout my family too. Its terrible. (Ironically, I did  the plussize modeling thing too.. xD) But yeah, it definatley would help you become healthier.

Although, most insurance companies require you to be 40bmi, or 35+ with comorbidies (diabetes, high blood pressure, insulin resistance, sleep apnea, anything obesity related..) .. I'm not too sure about self-pay. But its somthing you could look into.. Have you mentioned it to your mom? Id suggest you do that if you havent already. maybe she could ask the surgeon that did her wls, his opinion? maybe set up a consultation for you, if he would consider operating on a minor.

Good luck! message me ify ou ever need anything or have any questions. (:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

chunkymonkey1991
on 11/2/11 10:48 pm
 Hey, I'm 20 and had the sleeve 3 months ago. I don't think you can be approved for weight loss surgery with a BMI of 31.7 (generally it's a 40 BMI or 35 with comorbidities). Do you have any comorbidities? I've just started a blog that kind of documents my own journey and thoughts about weight loss surgery if you're interested. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

www.chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

ashli H.
on 1/11/12 2:27 am - NY
 Hey, my name is Ashli and i had gastric bypass in june right after my graduation. Since then i have lost 62 lbs. Trust me i would encourage anyone to have this surgery.  It is the best thing that ever happened to me. It wasn't and isn't easy since i am a freshman in college now but i manage to live a different life. I can do so many things that i thought i couldn't do at one point in my life and my self-esteem has taken a huge a rise. I am much more confident and i'm not afraid to try new things and meet new people. All in all my weight does not hold me back anymore.

Sw: 241 Weight on SD: 221 GW: 130        
Most Active