Help my teens who are fighting childhood obesity

robinfrommilw
on 9/30/11 2:28 am - WI
Good morning everyone,

I have a son who is 17 he has High function autism, bipolar with anxiety, cognitive delays. Many of his meds cause weight gain. He was  up to 183.4 this summer he bounces around 170 to 175 area. he kind of hit a plateau already. He stop drinking soda which he was really addicted too. After losing my brother at the age of 38 who was super obese was 520 lbs just this July it woke my son up. He wasn't willing to diet or exercise like he is now. He now ask if this food will make him fat or gain weight. He also like me now weighing on the scale every morning before getting in the shower. He is 5'3 he had to have testerone injections a series of 3 of them because he was in delayed puberty and wasn't growing since then he hit puberty. Acne is a really big problem he use to get from the soda but still has that issue. He carries all his weight around his stomach. He also has asthma, hypothyroid due to the lithium he is on, and pre diabetes taking metformin for that. He also has acid reflux even with meds he still gets up and vomits before school. Then he is fine.

I have a daughter whoh is turning 14 on Dec 1st she continues to gain weight. It is like she is obsessed with food and will sneak food too. She has autism, bipolar and speech and language delays. She gets bullied alot kids call her fat and ugly. And then she start to call herself that as well. Worried about her low self esteem. She is 5'1 and weighs 191.6 which was last Saturday. I try to get her to weigh today but she refused said its not Saturday morning. I told her she can weigh herself again tomorrow but she refused. She has to have things at a certain time always knows what time it is to eat and when her last snack is at 6 pm very rigid when it comes to routine. We try to get her to exercise have many exercise dvds, treadmill, wii and xbox kinnect which have the dance ones for them.and for the wii have the wii fit board. So we got alot to use even dumbells and kettlebells too.She will do it one day then she wont do it again. I have like 30 dvds to use. Even a couple kid ones too. Been getting calls to pick her up from school saying she is vomiting that she is sick. I could see the first time but 3 times is not good when school just started. They said this last time she was coughing so hard that she vomit. My theory is she may have acid reflux which then can cause your ashtma to flare up, plus she has a stuff nose. I ask them why didn't you give her inhaler it is right there in the office with spacer and mask. They didn't know what to say about that. So got her home gave her inhalers and sudafed she didnt' cough or vomit. And that is the weird thing once she got home all 3 times she never vomit. So I really think this  is acid reflux. I been reading online that obesity causes acid reflux and asthma symptoms can get worst. Anyone know anything about that. But since the last time she was pick up from school I just start to give her acid reflux med, sudafed and inhalers daily and now I get no calls from school. Today of course she refuse to do her albuterol would only do her advair. But I think the first time she was sent home she was eating to much food and soda for breakfast  I wasn't home but had someone here to get them both on the school bus. And as soon as I left she got more food. And that is when she vomit. And she already had way to much food. I would vomit if I ate that much food. If she continues to eat like this and not exercise or drink much water she is going to reach 200 lbs or more by her 14th birthday on Dec 1st this has me very worried. I know how it is to be morbid obese not good at all. She also has hypothryoid from lithium, asthma, pre diabetes takes metformin as well.

We did a childhood obesity walk on Aug 20th this was our 2nd year that we did it. She start to complain at the 1 mile mark. We had a choice to do the 2 mile or 5 mile walk or run. We did the 2 mile walk I want to do the 5 mile which took you down the trails by the lake which never did before.

I had my rny July 28, 2009 and had lost in one year 180 lbs went from 317.5 lbs to 135. After my first year it all went downhill and I gain went back up to 183 since my EGD with sclerotherapy don to 174 go next week for another one may need up to 4 of them they said my stoma (outlet) was huge.

Any input, advice on how to help my teens I appreciate it.
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

Ashley O.
on 10/2/11 3:29 pm
Hey(: I'm 16.. I've been overweight to obese my entire life.. I had the VSG done almost 2 months ago, and it's been working great for me.. Now i'm not suggesting that for your kids, but that is what I decided to do..

Make sure yoru daughters doses on all of her medications are right.. You cant really make sure of that, but ask the doctor that is managing her pre-diabetes and hypothyroidism... I know when my doc upped my metformin to 1000 twice a day, I started losing weight instantly.. I also have hypothyroidism, and i'm on synthroid for that which helps.. and aldactone for hypertension, whichi s also a mild diuretic. has she been tested for pcos? that may play a part too.

What really woke me up, was being at the doctors.. and having them explain to me what is going on with my body.. I ad to hear the technical terms.. I did my research on what they meant.. I watched my grandmother die of complications of diabetes, and I didn't want the same for myself..

I had been overweight since i was 2 or 3.. I got diagnosed with insulinr esistance at age 6.. But it never mattered to me.. My mom made me exersize aerobics an hour a day, and diet, and I was able to maintain.. but never lose weight. I was on metformin aswell. I never had the motivationto lose weight though, because i never  realized how serious it was untill I learned for myself.

You cant make your kids understand.. Kids as is dont want to listen to their parents.. they have to realize for themselves what is gonig on..I know you want to protect them, but If you pu**** too much.. You will end up straining your relationship with them..

You could stop buying junk food, and just not have it in the house, available to anyone... soda, sweets, etc.. But that will just make them want to splurge more when they're not at home, which could be worse.

Try taking them to the doctors.. seperatley. I see you had the RNY.. could you bring them to one of your follow ups or ask your dietitian to speak with them? Maybe the family doctor or an endocrinologist? 

you mentioned autism.. I'm not too informed on how/if that affects any of this.. I know a few poepole that have it but i have never thought to ask. 

Theres a lot of things that fal into place with childhood obesity. And it is extremely rough. I have been bullied my whole life, because of it. Kids are cruel.

If either of your kids would ever want to talk to someone, they could make an account on here, or message me and i could give you my email.. I've been there. being an obese teenager is terrible. I also have a blog that you or they could check out, that helps talk about some of these topics and teengers.. along with teen wls, if that would ever need to become an option.
 www.justashley1637.blogspot.com

My main advice is just be there for them.. try to steer them in the right direction, but.. if they don't listen.. they will have to learn from that mistake.

Good luck! message me if you or your kids ever need anything.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Ashley O.
on 10/2/11 3:31 pm
Oh, and I would suggest getting both of them to a pediatric endocrinoligist if at all possible.. They could really help determine other causes to the weight loss, and help ajust the treatments already going for both of them.

If you're already seeing one, then ask them about blood work or if theres anything else that cuolb e contributing.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/13 2:44 pm
I had RNY in April 2008, had a baby and I still.have the 40 lbs. Should, I say had. About a month ago, I met up with some WLS friends combatting regain, we we for hunt for something to help. In 4 weeks the 5 of us have lost 55lbs., this works. Not just for you but possibly your whole family, check it out kcongleton.bodybyvi.com
Most Active