Please help me with my diabetic 15 yo daughter

libragirl76
on 1/3/12 11:52 am, edited 1/3/12 11:57 am
I had RNY surgery Oct. 10 and am at a normal weight. Before that you could say our whole family had bad eating habits that I blame myself and my husband. However, I have changed drastically and I see how bad some foods can be on our bodies. The problem I cant get through to my husband, who also is overweight and has diabetis. However in his defense he used to be very active but because of psiroriac arthritis there are times he can not get out of bed and I believe he is in a depression because of it. We are hopefull that the Humiera shots he will begin this week will help. However my other concern is my beautiful daughter. She has had pre diabetes since age 8 and now almost 16. She hates to talk about it because says its unfair that other teens her age do not have to worry about what they eat and medicine and all. She used to stay active with soccer and swimming however the last two years she doesnt want to do those things. At her last appointment with the doctor he was talking about her losing weight because she was gaining again and she got so upset she left the room. It breaks my heart and I cry because I know how hard it is especially at such a young age. She says others make fun of her. I have read books, gone to classes and know what she should eat however she refuses to follow my advice. So far this year (well 2 days) she has gone with me to work out and has not complained and I really hope that continues. I got her a WII, a Kinnect and lots of games which she doesnt play. I signed her up for different classes at our rec center but she doesnt want to go. She does love to eat healthy but what I see is she likes carbs and her portion sizes are very large. It doesnt help at all when all my husband does is ask for ice cream, pop, candy, etc and than brings it in our house. They both think because they "feel" fine nothing is wrong. I have cried to them both and we have an appt with our primary doctor this week since she left her diabetic doctor 2 weeks ago. I am going to tell the dr how I feel its me against them. What am I doing? What am I not doing? I have to police my daughter to take her medicine and check her blood sugar....I am in tears as I want her to be healthy and happy but feel i am alone.

She is no longer pre-diabetic but diabetes 2 and taking 1000 mg of metformin 2 x's a day. She gets lab this week and may be put on insulin. The doctors keep telling her medicine can only do so much and she has to help herself too. I agree so why wont she listen to any of us? I am sad and want her around for as long as possible. Am I nagging too much? Any advice I so appreciate it.

LOVING LIFE AND LEARNING TO LOVE MYSELF

Starting Weight 255/// Goal Weight 140////Current Weight 121

Ashley O.
on 1/5/12 10:50 am
That is exactly the position i was in most of my life.. I've been insulin resistant since i wa 3 years old.. i was on 1000mg metformin 2x day when iwasfifteen.. i'm on halfofthat now. i'm 16and has the vsg in august...

If she isn't wanting to comply... i can almost guarantee you she doesnt understand the seriousness of everything that is going on... and no one can make her realize orwant tochange.. she has to come to that relevation herself...

I have a blog.. that i've kept that talks a lot about insulin resistance/type2 diabetes, my surgery, hypothyroidism, pcos, etc... metabolic syndrome, basically. my journey with it all.. tips and things that are easier for teenagers to understand.. Tell her to check it out, if she wants. its in my signature.

but being against them wont help.. ifnything it may make thigns worse.. try to have a doctor explain toyour daughter... what could happen if she doesnt getcontroll of her weight rightaway.. have her research it herself..

My mom was in the same position.. i never listened t oher, growing up... i never understood.. it took up untill i had to wear a medical id bracelet that ithit me... how serious it was with everything goingon.. when my endocrine told me i was at high risk for heart attack/stroke... thatithit me... i had always been forced to diet and exersize.. and i complied.. but i resented my mom for it.. so many fights... because i never understood.

but no onethingwill make your daughterunderstand.. its up to her.

I really hope things start to look up and your daughter realizes what's going on.. feel free to message me if you ever have any questions or your daughter or anything. i'd be happy to help in any wayi can.

-ashley.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/16 10:11 pm

Hello LibraGirl, I hope your daughter will recover from diabetes and overweight soon. There are fruits which are considered useful in diabetes and obesity. Such as Bitter-gourd, Aloe Vera, and Nopal. These has 0% side effects. Think about giving your daughter half a cup of Organic Nopal Juice every day. It contains 16 amino acids which helps in losing weight and it is very beneficial for reducing blood sugar levels.

Most Active