Question for theater performers...

sweetaim2
on 1/3/05 2:04 am - Monmouth Junction, NJ
I'm having my surgery 1/25/05. There is a show I would like to audition for that goes up in May, assuming that is plenty of time. The auditions are next week. How do I explain my situation without losing the opportunity to get a role? Amy
Julie J.
on 1/6/05 1:31 am - Charlotte, NC
Do you know when they start rehearsals? I wouldn't think they would start much before April. I would think you would be fine. I think that the biggest concern is that you will look completely different. As a director, I cast people based on what they look like at auditions and you will look TOTALLY different. Maybe you should just wait to audition for anything until post op. But whatever you decide - BREAK A LEG
Rich_in_IL
on 1/11/05 4:18 pm - Oak Park, IL
I was in your position this past fall. My surgery was July 28th and I auditioned for "Man of La Mancha" in mid-August. The show was being produced the last two weeks in October. I was straight with the director, who happened to be a friend who had directed me before. The part I really wanted was Sancho, and I told the director before auditions that I was going to be a little limited physically. Sancho isn't a hugely physical role, but there was no way I could be thrown to the ground, etc. in the fight scene. He said he would keep that in mind, but that I should audition anyway. Long story short, I got the part. The director made a few minor alterations, small enough that the audience never noticed. I was very careful of what I was eating before rehearsals, and I was a little nauseous and just a little light-headed at a few of them, but no major problems. I also made sure the costumer was aware when she came around for measurements that I would probably be somewhat smaller by the time the show opened. I would encourage you to go for it. I'm certainly glad I did. While it's true you will look a little different by showtime, most parts aren't all that locked in to a particular look anyway. Good luck, and let me know how it comes out! Rich Lap RNY 440/315/160
Jenny J.
on 1/15/05 10:20 am - North Tazewell, VA
I love that show! It is perhaps one of my all time favorites! I did costumes for it at one theatre and props at another!
Linda J.
on 1/20/05 1:13 am - Poulsbo, WA
AMY, PLEASE audition.. do not limit yourself from a plum role.....as a director myself I would encourage you to be up front with the director. I am betting it will make no difference at all!!!! BREAK-A-LEG. Ohhhhhhhh Jan 25th........HUGS!!!!!!HUGS!!!!! Keep us all posted!!!!!!!! Linda
sweetaim2
on 1/20/05 4:52 am - Monmouth Junction, NJ
Thank you for everyone's responce. I decided not to audition. The great thing about theater is its always there. There will be other things to audition for once I feel better, physically & mentally. Will keep everyone posted. Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
TRISTAN at the DISNY CONCERT HALL
karly · 0 replies · 389 views
Dracula parts posted this morning
S W. · 0 replies · 413 views
Audition question:
S W. · 2 replies · 431 views
What's GOOD? I'm new!
Maritza . · 0 replies · 310 views