Travel to 3rd World Countries after WLS?????

Lady Chi
on 7/14/06 6:01 pm - Southern, CA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has traveled to a 3rd world country after WLS. If you have, how soon after WLS did you travel? Did you have any problems? I am hoping to have my surgery in September, but I also expect to go overseas in late December or January 2007. Thanks much!!
katydidit64
on 3/11/09 7:02 pm - north port, FL
Well this probrably isnt much help... but I went overseas to live for 2 years 6 mos out from surgery... the only thing that was difficult was when I did have a problem I had to email the surgeon and tell him in detail what was happening then he would give me ideas on what would help... fortunately the only problem I had was vomiting and we took care of that by not eating reheated foods and staying away from beef... hamburger was ok.  hope this helps... make sure you have a good relationship with your surgeon!
kelmani
on 4/12/09 5:05 am - Beirut, Lebanon
Where are you looking at traveling to? I've lived in the Middle East now for almost 4 years and we travel a lot.

~Kristi

I'm 5'4

shellqueen
on 11/9/09 4:34 am - New Brighton, MN
Consult your surgeon! My doctor told me if I ever did extensive travel it would be best to have my band be empty in case anything happened. Another idea, and this may sound weird but, growing up I had an aunt who worked for the American Embassy in Mexico. The American Embassy can be a good resource. They can help with translation, suggest an MD/hospital and other things. Have that number with you. Karen
Pickles33
on 12/22/10 12:29 am
 Yes, the American Embassy in whichever country you're going to should be able to help you with a lot of things.  Especially in emergency situations, you can relay on them. 
Most Active