VGB

tamou37
on 12/23/11 2:17 am - Toronto/Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hi all. I am in the process of deciding between sleeve and lap band but came across VGB. what is exactly and is it reversibel. any information are highly appreciated. i have started looking on line as well but prefer real people experience. thanks

Sleeved on 26/02/12 By Doctor Al Taie in Dubai

vwelsh
on 12/26/11 11:27 pm, edited 12/26/11 11:28 pm - Hudson, KY
Hi. I had a VBG about 17 years ago and lost around 80 lbs. Kept most of it off until about 2 1/2 years ago. Found out I had thyroid cancer and after the surgery, radiation, and recovery, I've gained 90 back. I'm now working on approval for a revision to either a RNY or DS. Just my opinion, but VBG not as effective. I have a sister who also had a VBG after I did and she's had nothing but complications and can't eat hardly anything. She, too, has gained back every pound she lost (about 95lbs) and constantly struggles with malnutrition and anemia. I haven't suffered the problems she has, but I can hardly tell that I ever had a procedure done. Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth! Good luck with your decision.
obsessedhod
on 12/29/11 6:40 am - Crosby, TX
I had my VBG in 1992, when it was done as an OPEN surgery - I lost 100lbs in about 8 months and kept it off for over 12 years.   I do have to say that I was HAPPY with my VBG, until about 4 years ago when I started to gain the weight back.

I have had NO side effects, no heartburn, no problems WHATSOEVER...occasional vomiting if I don't chew well enough (still) -but that's my fault - not the VBG. I didn't even lose my hair like some people complain about.

The VBG is PERMANENT - it is NOT ADJUSTABLE. Similarly to the gastric bypass in that a "pouch" is created using a staple line and a band, but there is NO switch of the digestive tract, so no malabsorption problems occur.  No dumping syndrome.

There are some foods that I STILL have problems with - and by problems I mean that I will USUALLY throw them up - so I stay away from them :  Soft breads (I can eat toasted or grilled bread easily), Pork - I can't eat pork chops even if they are moist, but I can eat ham, some chicken if it's too dry.  I have NEVER been a sweets eater - but I do have issues with peanut butter and chocolate - it's just too thick! 

With ANY WLS - there just isn't long term information.  I AM THE LONG TERM INFORMATION! 

I kept in touch with my doctor at 5 years, then again at 10 years - and for all medical purposes that is a SUCCESSFUL SURGERY!!  Now, I don't have health insurance - so I'm kind of stuck!!

I hope to revise to the VSG (sleeve) because of the removal of part of the stomach, the "hunger hormone" producing portion of the stomach is removed - which I want GONE!!  I am a snacker, and addicted to carbs - and I just need that surgical tool renewed to remind me how to eat again!!  I have gained back 80lbs in 4 years - I am positive that my band has erroded or something else - even though I STILL don't have problems or pain from it....

coreena691
on 1/3/12 12:24 pm, edited 1/3/12 12:29 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
I had the VBG in 1991, and was similar to your experience. Lost 90lbs to goal in the first 5mths, then kept it off for 13 yrs, even with having 2 children, then the complications with food stuck started, limiting my food choices to sliders and back came the weight to my initial post op weight of 245lbs.

My staples came undone back in Dec. 2010 due to extensive vomiting, and was revised (by the same surgeon) to the VSG Gastric Sleeve (open surgery) back in May 12, 2011. I am now down to 167lbs, and have never felt better. I have wonderful restriction, never have vomited once since, no food stuck issues anymore and can now eat so much better with lots of dense protein (chicken, pork, fish, beef, anything goes, and doesn't have to drown in gravy or sauces to be able to swallow i)t, and fruits & veggies--nice crunchy veggies, that I missed for over 20 yrs. I lost a little bit of hair but not as bad as with the VBG.

I'm still losing, but it's slowed down now (we lose slower with revisions), so I am really picking up with the exercise to get back to my goal, 155-160 lbs would be nice at my age (42).

I haven't met many people who've revised from VBG to VSG, but if it's only restriction you need, this is a better surgery and the removal of grehlin is fantastic. I have lost that desire for carbs, sweets, and junk or sliders. I am finally back to eating to live, and feel normal again.

Best of luck with your journey!!

Coreena
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

obsessedhod
on 1/3/12 10:02 pm - Crosby, TX
I can't wait for revision!  I just don't have insurance right now, and I am discouraged because the last quote I got was 9,200 CASH PAY - and that was in MEXICO!!   I will only have about $6,000 - I guess I'll wait to see if they have any "income tax return" specials!!!
coreena691
on 1/4/12 11:09 am, edited 1/3/12 11:11 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Thankfully our provincial medical plan covered the costs of my revision. I wish you all the best.
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/12 3:09 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
I know this reply is coming really late because I just found this thread. Did you ever have any luck finding a surgeon? I know of Dr. Ramos- Kelly in Mexico who does the vertical sleeve for like 5300$ and he is highly rated among the patients that have used him. Also, Dr. Garcia in Tijuana has good patient reviews and his price is around 5000$. I think for a revision you might have to add 500$ or so but that is still in the price range you are looking at.

I just wanted you to know there are affordable and GOOD doctors in Mexico for around 5000-6000$. I hope you find someone to help you because we all know what it's like to struggle with weight around here. Best of luck.

I honestly hope you reply back that you found a surgeon already :-)
andytamiblack
on 2/14/12 11:57 pm - NM
dont do it go with gastric bypass i had vbg almost 7 years ago and i regret it i wish i would have had gb. im now starting the process of seeing if i can gb now.

tao6517
on 5/2/12 7:16 am - KY
I had VBG in 1997. It was and still is one of the best things I've ever done! I had a loss of 130 lbs within 8 months. After 5 years was pretty much settled in at 110 lb loss until 3 years ago when I hurt my ankle really bad. Over the past 3 years I gained 50 lbs which is no fault of the surgery itself. Excerise was nearly none due to ankle pain, and also allowing some bad food choices back into my daily life was the problem. Over the past 3 months I have completely changed my eating habits and cut out all processed foods. It may suprise you as it did me but I have NO cravings at all for junk food! I am currently still down 88 lbs from my starting weight 15 yrs ago.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4284 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8535 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8066 views