1 week out and hungry as hell

RavenShadows
on 8/19/03 5:34 am - Garden Grove, CA
Hello all, well i finally had my vbg on the 13th. I was out of the hospital on the 16th. Surgeon said operation and recovery went very well. I never even used the pain meds. I did have a bit of childrens liquid tylenol the 1st night home for some cramping in my right hip but thats been it. I get up and walk and then veg out a bit then walk then veg then walk then walk then walk then drink. I dont think im drinking enough. Plain water makes me sick. So the dr. has me drinking gatorade and crystal light. BUT here is the problems, 1. I dont know if it is normal, ive been trying to get ahold of the dr. but it seems like I dont pee as much as I used to. I go maybe 2 or 3 times a day as to the 6 to 8 before surgery. And i've only had 2 sort of soft bowel movements since surgery. I dont know if this is common since im on liquids or what. But it is kind of worrisome when your body is freaking out on you. anyways .... 2. I am hungry. At first I thought it was just psychological...but by the 3rd day in the hospital my stomach was actually growling and I was getting headaches from being hungry. Now that I am home even the smell of food makes me depressed because here I am with my gatorade and jello and everyone else is having chicken and bellpeppers. Any ideas? Should my stomach be growling? Well I look forward to some answers...if anyone has any. Lots of hugs and thanks for all the support.. Candie
Kowens
on 8/21/03 5:02 am - St. Paul, MN
Yea all that is normal... Ask your self one thing do you want to eat that food? Trust me it is hard at fist but you learn such cool things and you will feel great.. All of the peeing thing had me worried to but it will all come back promise. And remember the bowl movement will come as soon as you can actually eat food....
betterfitness
on 8/21/03 7:50 am - Guntown, MS
Candie, hang in there girl. When you are not getting in as much fluid you are not going to go to the bathroom as often.. I have BM's about every other day now, when before it usually was everyday...All of this takes time to adjust to, but many blessings to you..God Bless You....YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!! Janice
stephanie S.
on 8/25/03 3:48 pm - jacksonville, fl
candie, i had my vbg 07/30/03, and i too was worried about the exact same things you are. i only pass urine 2-3 times a day and moved my bowels a total of 3 times since surgery. i'm also hungry every couple hours. i'm trying so hard to behave. it is hard, but together we can do it. stephanie
Nicole R.
on 8/31/03 2:28 am - Carrollton, TX
I had my surgery on 7/29/03. I felt (still at times) feel the way you do. I had to go into the other room while my DH and kids were eating. That helped. It does get better as the weeks go on. Keep focused on how you will look in time. Your tummy will make noise but it doesn't mean it is hungry. I heard it makes sounds while healing and doing its thing. Good luck, Nicole
Lara D.
on 9/6/03 12:44 pm - Hallowell, ME
I hear that being thirsty can actually be misinterpreted as hunger by your body. If you're not getting enough fluid, that may be part of why you feel hungry.
kanikas99
on 3/16/14 6:14 am

omg i thought iwas the only one... i feel so hungry for real food just like you said... my family is at the table eating delicious foods and im in my room drinking protein... blah... im 10 days out of surgery ad i want to eat already...but im trying to be strong. Thanks for your post... I kow now that i am not alone.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4285 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8535 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8066 views