Less than two weeks until surgery

tonia-larson
on 5/20/04 2:55 pm - Bremerton, WA
Hi everyone... Is there anything that I need to take with me to the hospital?? How will things 'feel' after surgery??? I am nervous, and even a little scared.. My surgery date is June 1st..in Seattle, w/Dr. Weber...I have preop appointments on 25 May. It seems so surreal..I hope that someone finds it to give me some ...you all are the ones that have done it...everyone I know did bypass instead..thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you can give... Tonia 262/???
Karen M.
on 5/20/04 10:10 pm - El Maton, TX
The only thing I can suggest is taking loose clothes to wear home!!! And of course I am the kind of person who has to take my own pillow. I will just say the first and second day are the worst (not horrible just the worst)!!! I can say that it is all worth it!!! I am so glad that I had it done! They say that if you don't have first, second, third, fourth etc..... thoughts about if you are making the right decision then you are not normal!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!
Jersey Girl
on 5/21/04 12:04 am
I would suggest you take come chapstick (my lips were so dry), sanitary pads (a lot of women come on there period after surgery, I unfortunately was one and it wasn't if due yet), baby wipes (the hospital provided disposable washing cloths, but in case they don't these are handy), a pillow or stuff animal to press against you when you cough (somthing kinda firm). That's really about it. I used the hospital gown and slipper socks and when I wasn'****ching tv I was sleeping so my magazine weren't read. Also, my hospital wasn't local and my cell phone wouldn't work so phone cards would have come in handy. After surgery, oncy the pain meds kicked in I was fine. I slept a lot. The pain is very bearable, nothing real intense. It was just annoying to be all hooked up to the machines. I was very sore, kinda like how your body feels when you have the flu. You'll do fine!!!! It's the best thing you could do for yourself!!! Wait and see.
Anitra O.
on 5/22/04 2:03 am - Houston, TX
I think everyone is so different. I didnt ever really have any pain. More sore than anything.. like I had exercised too hard and everytime I tried to roll over on my side it would not be a comfortable experience. I had them bring me extra pillows.. ended up with 5 in the end.. LOL. I had one I used for my back when I wanted to lay on my side, and then I had to have one for my front to keep me from rolling over too far and then one to hold on my stomach and 2 for my head.. I never read a bit because I slept so much. I think even hospitals are different. I had normal washcloths and when I woke up in recovery they gave me one to wipe all the gunk out of my mouth.. I asked for a cold damp cloth. I think it was worse when I got home. At least in the hospital there was always a lot of folks around for me to call if I needed something but when I got home I didnt have as many. My mom was here but still didnt want to bother her since she was cleaning my house. My hubby had to work. Take a toothbrush and hair brush! I forgot both! Used to hospitals gave you all that stuff but mine didnt. I went to Walmart before my surgery and bought some of these Patio Dresses they have.. wore one in the hospital after I took a shower after my first surgery.. well it was more of a bath type thing but after I cleaned up. I had one I wore to the hospital and wore it home too. Shoes you dont have to bend over to tie or slip on.. just something you can poke your feet into. Put a pillow in the car for the trip home too!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4284 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8535 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8066 views