WHERE ARE ALL THE VBG PEOPLE???? LET'S HEAR FROM YOU????????????????

Rosanne S.
on 5/28/04 4:36 pm - St. Paul, MN
PLEASE, I AM AWAITING INSURANCE APPEAL. People keep telling me to have the RNY. I wanted the VBG. Now I am having second thoughts. PEOPLE, HELP. WRITE AND LET US KNOW ABOUT YOUR SURGERY AND ITS OUTCOME, PLEASE????????????????????????
Dianne C.
on 5/29/04 9:40 am - Fresno, Tx
Rosanne, I can onlly reiterate what I wrote you before, I love my VBG. would not have had any other kind of surgery. Less invasive, heal quicker and if you stay commited you will lose the weight. All I can tell you is to talk to your doctor, maybe get a second opinion. I just don't want anyone cutting through my intestines and I don't think there are any long range studies on people who have been on this a while. Have lost 96 lbs and am 11 lbs to goal. Kind of changed my goal back to 5 lbs less (smile). You must decide what is best for you. Get online and research. You don't necessarily need the message board except for support. Our VBG board isn't as active as the main forum which is mostly RNY but we are successful and we do support you. Good luck.
Anitra O.
on 5/30/04 5:22 am - Houston, TX
Im about 5 1/2 weeks post op on my VBG and a friend of mine is almost 7 weeks post op on her RNY. I have had less problems, feel better, and am dropping weight at about the same rate she is. You have to research, talk with your doc and form your own opinions. Im with Dianne on this one. I wanted an RNY at first but after meeting with my doc and talking over possible long term problems, possible surgical issues etc Im glad he will only do a VBG except in very extreme cases. He does not like to do them for many reasons. I am happy I had this done but it is not for everyone. You really need to read and research and talk to the doctors before you proceed with either option. There is a lot of information on the internet. Just search.
blank first name B.
on 5/30/04 6:03 am - Tx
Hi Rosanne, It really is an individual choice. I am so glad I had the vbg for same reasons that have already been posted on here. One of my friends just had the rny and has been in the hospital now for 2 weeks. She had a leak and they have had to go back in two times now. For some reason, its not staying fixed. She is finally out of sicu and we praying this last surgery worked. We have been so worried about her. People with the rny also have to take special care for the rest of their lives regarding malabsorption of certain vitamins and all kinds of issues. My surgeon said at the end of five years the regain was about the same. Both surgeries can be eaten around if you go back to the high calorie soft foods and liquids. That first year is so important in learning new habits, etc. I am almost 3 yrs post op and have had no problems. I did have some vomiting issues in the beginning with meat. That has gone away and I can now eat normally, just a lot less. I made the mistake of letting sweets back in the picture and am now in the process of jumpstarting my weight loss again. I have regained a few pounds, but I am still happy I had the vbg.
Rosanne S.
on 5/30/04 8:06 am - St. Paul, MN
Thank you so much for your response. I was so ready for the VBG and then people keep saying things that make me wonder if it will work. I am happy to hear that it worked for you, and I think I am still leaning that direction. It seems to me that if I am going to go through all of this, then why would I want to sabotage myself by out eating it? I certainly have had enough of being unhealthy and overweight. Thanks again for your help and support. Rosanne
Trisha H.
on 6/1/04 4:17 am - Jacksonville, FL
here we are ... I had the VBG and I and very satisfied with the results I am getting. I am 4 weeks post op and have lost 30 pounds I too have many many friends that have had the RNY here's how it has gone for some of them #1 began at 395 RNY 11/12/03 currently lost 115 pounds back to work in 2 weeks then out for a week due to fatigue and nausea #2 began at 305 RNY 2/12/04 currently lost 72 pounds back to work in 6 weeks, admitted to the hospital 1 week after surgery out for 3 days and back in for 2 weeks due to infection and vomitting #3 began at 275 RNY 2/19/04 currently lost 45 pounds not loosing the weight due to ???? my friend that had the VBG began at 282 VBG 4/7/04 currently lost 51 pounds back to work 3 weeks out I believe anyone who goes back to work early risk problems, your body has no time to catch back up for the shock of the surgery and the changes it is going through. I also believe deeply in the VBG, it is much less invasive and encourges you to continue on with watching your food intake there by assisting you in your on going goal to loose and maintain once you are there. If you are still unsure read more and concider carefully. Best of luck in whatever you decide, it sure feels great to be a looser for once
Rosanne S.
on 6/1/04 4:42 am - St. Paul, MN
Thank you. I think I am going to stick with the VBG for all of the reasons you gave. It was my first choice and although RNY people try to convince you otherwise, as do lot of docs, I agree with you. I believe it is a tool and if I go through all of this, surgery, etc. I sure don't want to sabotage my chances of weight loss and I believe I can make it work. Thanks, and my best to you and your friends. Rosanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4276 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8525 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8058 views