Was I right or wrong???

Erica L.
on 6/3/04 4:43 am - Pittsburgh Area, PA
This is a post that I wrote in response to individuals saying the VBG is not the right surgery, or that they "couldn't believe they still did that surgery." What do you think???? -----I just wish that some of those who are so quick to say the VBG is bad would think before typing. Some of us can only get approval for the VBG or have one of the best surgeons in the state say that he no longer does the RNY, and only will do the VBG, or feel that the pros of VBG are better then the RNY, etc. I don't mean to come off defensive, but it hurts to think that because we had the VBG we are some how wrong in our decision. The VBG is better then it was years ago, just like the RNY is better then it was years ago. We all have thought long and hard about what is best for us, and at 24 I didn't want to have my self cut up that way. I am happy with my decision, and I know there is not a right or wrong answer to what WLS is best. It is a personal decision, and I can't help taking some of the negativity about the VBG so personal. Hey, maybe it is the hormones, but we are here to support each other, and yes we need to know about the downsides of things, but there are downsides to all the surgeries. So that is why when I give advice I only give it to VBGers or on excercise, or my insurance. I don't even answer questions that an RNY would ask about what is right for them, because I don't know, since I don't have the RNY. All I know is that so far, the VBG has been the best thing I have done in my life (except marry my husband). I have met many people through my VBG support group who have had this surgery 4 or more years ago, and are doing well. I even have met a women who had it in the 80s and is still going strong. But I know there are some who have gained it back or even died from it. But who can say that it isn't true for an RNY?----- What do you think? Take Care, Erica -33
LADYLONEY
on 6/3/04 1:14 pm - CRAFTON, PA
HI ERICA!!! I HAD SURGERY WITH DR. WEAVER ON APRIL 19, 2004. YOUR RESPONSE WAS WONDERFUL, WE DO HAVE ONE OF THE BEST SURGEONS!! HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU, YOUR RESPONSE WAS WELL WRITTEN. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR WLJ, HOPE TO MEET YOU AT THE DREAM WEAVERS MEETING. KELLY LONEY -47
Dianne C.
on 6/7/04 5:38 am - Fresno, Tx
Erica, Here, here.
Trisha H.
on 6/14/04 12:33 am - Jacksonville, FL
Erica, You said all the right things. I beleive that whatever surgery a person decides on is a personal choice I also beleive we should not suggest that the choice made by others is not correct. We all make the decision after research and speaking to the doctor(s) that will be guiding us through this change in our lives. I agree that both surgeries have come a long way, in 1988 I almost lost a very fear friend after she had what was then called the stomach by-pass. She had to undergo 3 different surgeries before leaving the hospital and then her weight loss was so drastic she came close to dying again. This is not too often heard of any longer (thanks to research, improved procedures and the training of excellent doctors all over the world) I am a VBGer and I am so happy with my decision, I have friends that had the RNY and are also happy with their decision The goal is healthy weight loss and a new and better way of life! thanks for speaking out
SANDY D.
on 6/28/04 6:23 am - ROYSE CITY, TX
I agree with ya'll, there is no right/wrong answer as to which is best, what is right for me (a VBGer) may not be right for another. The agreed goal here is to loose the weight. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about both procedures and about people regaining all the weight in 2-3 years. All I can say is that it is our job to exercise and eat right so that the weight doesn't come back on us. I really don't understand how a person can stretch their stomach to eat enough to gain weight, it hurts too much. At any rate, Dr. Bryce did my surgery on May 3 and I have lost 30 pounds, feel good and would do it again in a heartbeat!! And if something were to go wrong or happen and I was to regain the weight, I would do the surgery again---I never want to have to wear plus sizes again.
tammym
on 7/20/04 8:25 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12
Hi Erica, Everyone has to make the best decision for them. I chose VBG because it has fewer complications and I just didn't want to be 're-plumbed'. Now I have a little bit of regret and think maybe I should have had RNY, because I started gaining back the weight after only 2 years. I might have been able to get approved for RNY but the Doctor I chose would not do that surgery for me (due to the higher complication rate). I might have had complications with the RNY, or I might have gained the weight back with that surgery too, so I'm still VERY glad I did it. I do feel very alone though, there is NO support here in Oregon for VBG patients, in fact, WLS support groups are generally hostile to people who have had the VBG surgery. I have made some great friends on the Oregon message board, I just don't talk about what surgery I had with them. Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4285 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8536 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8068 views