Hi Everybody,

KittyVetTech
on 6/21/04 3:00 pm - Schaumburg, IL
I have been posting on the main board trying to find some VBGer's. I have my doctors appointments next week. My surgeon only does VBG. Is it the same as "Divided" VBG? I would really like to hear from any post-op's about their highs and lows.
sharon001
on 6/22/04 4:16 am - WI
Hi Laura, I had Open VBG surgery on 10.28.03. I have lost 104 pounds so far. I am hoping to lose another 46 pounds between now and my one year anniversary date. The reason I chose to have VBG surgery vs. RNY was because I was a volume eater. I generally ate 3 large meals a day. I was not a grazer or sweet eater by rule. Therefore my surgeon felt that I would be equally successful at either surgery but that the VBG was less invasive. I do not know what "divided" VBG is therefore I don't think I had that. Basically I just have a smaller stomach pouch created above my regular stomach. I did not have any intestine re-routing. VBG will work if you follow the rules. Don't snack, don't graze, stay away from sweets, exercise, drink your water, take your vitamins. If you are willing to do these things you will probably succeed. Really it is all up to you. You will not get the "dumping syndrome" if you eat sweets. Does it take a little more forethought and will power. Maybe. Can it be done? Certainly. Do I regret having VBG vs. RNY? For me -- no. I don't regret it. I had a choice between the 2 surgeries. I chose this one because of my eating habits and because it is reversible if I were to get a life threatening disease or if they came up with something else to treat morbid obesity. For me it was the right surgery. Do your research and find the right surgery for you. Best Regards, Sharon Chute
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4284 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8535 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8066 views