Tattoos and WLS?

kamehanaokala
on 12/20/07 3:50 pm - HI
LOL here at the "what will happen to it when I get the twins nipped and lifted next year"........I'm wondering what will happen to the one on my lower back when I do my LBL next year too.

Kahlua
on 12/20/07 3:49 pm, edited 12/20/07 3:54 pm - NJ
A lot depends on where it is, and how elastic your skin is, and how much you lose. I was careful with mine, and didn't get any in places that would stretch during pregnancy. Too many friends had some warped tattoos after giving birth. It really is a wait and see kind of thing. You could PM "Proximity02" who is at goal and had lots of ink before surgery.  You could easily get a cover up, depending on what you have now. If the tats are in places where you expect to lose weight, it's up to the genetic gods (and your age) as too how much your skin--and therefore tats-- will sag. Then address it. You may find you want coverups tats to disguise any warping, but it could also mark the "new you." (Just give me another excuse to get one, right!). If you want more details, my boyfriend does tats and he could discuss with you, but I'm sure he'll say it's probably going to need some sort of touchup/coverup, but you might get lucky. Just PM me with details about current wt and how it's distributed, size and location of tats, your age, and maybe he can make a guess. He may even be able to design a coverup for you to have just in case, if you send pics. Glad you've come out of the shadows, and into the moonlight. Don;t have to be a lurker any more.... Kahlua
cy76065
on 12/20/07 7:25 pm, edited 12/20/07 7:25 pm - midlothian, TX

I have 2 and both are ok.  1 on my outer ankle and 1 on the small of my back (DH calls it my tramp stamp)... anyway.... both are ok, wanting to touch up the back one, add to it and want another.

Now if I had one on my tummy area, it would be looking pretty bad right now.

"At the worst, a house unkept cannot be so distressing a a life unlived."-R.Macaulay
ganny
on 12/20/07 8:45 pm - BELLEVUE, OH

Hi MJ!!

I've got one around my right ankle. so I'm hoping that when I have my surgery, it won't do anything.  I've always wanted to get a little rose on my left boob, but don't think I'll try that now.  THANKS GIRLS!!

Veronica

sadsushi
on 12/20/07 8:51 pm - LA

I've seen a couple of lower back tats that were almost completely gone once the plastics were completed... I'm not sure what you do with half a tattoo *l* tattoo over it? remove it?
sillylinnie
on 12/20/07 11:27 pm - Monroe, OH
The one on my ankle just looks bigger but is still in good shape.  The one on my upper chest is going south with the girls.

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

Pattydp
on 12/20/07 11:58 pm - Annandale, VA
I have one on my back and it is the same, but is a small one.  If I would've had one on my tummy it would be a different story (completely deformed!) so it varies on the size and location and how your skin shrinks... Good luck on your research and WLS!
Patty

mandyjewell
on 12/21/07 1:20 am
Thank you so much for responding.  It looks like the experience varies per person so I guess I will just have to "wait and see" how my own body turns out. -MJ
Karin @)-;-'--
on 12/21/07 4:07 am - Melbourne, Australia
I have a small butterfly on my upper right breast and after losing my 66 lbs (30kg) it still looks exactly the same.  I've had it for so long when I was a rebellious kid about 13.  I'm 43 now and I have toyed with the idea to go and get it recoloured as it's faded an awful lot.  I also had a bluebird on my left hip and when I had my tummy tuck surgery the surgeon said it will cut straight through the middle of the bluebird so we decided then it should get chopped out and tucked in.  So I guess I have the "bluebird of happiness" on the inside. Cheers Karin in Oz
Most Active