Surgery in the morning
Spanky123 · 2 replies · 21 views
desperate for answers
anewstart123 · 13 replies · 230 views

Does it hurt to get staples out?

lippylulu
on 4/1/08 5:07 pm - Staten Island, NY
VSG on 03/26/08 with
I am getting my staples out tomorrow night---7 days post op.  Does it  hurt to have them removed?  They  hurt now so I keep thinking it will hurt a lot!  Should I load up on pain meds before I go?
Linda

christylynn
on 4/1/08 5:20 pm - Grandville, MI
VSG on 03/27/08 with
I've never had staples out, but I've had stitches removed a couple of times. It just felt weird; you could feel it pulling, but I didn't think it hurt at all.

Christy
Ros-mari
on 4/1/08 5:21 pm - Sweden
I took them out myself for three of my five incisions. That was dumb, because it hurt. When I went to the nurse to have the remaining staples removed, it was all over in seconds and didn't hurt a bit. But of course everyone's tolerance for pain differs and you may perceive it as more painful than I did. Good luck!

Why can't my inner fashionista and my inner feminist just get along? Ros-mari

TattooGirl1982
on 4/1/08 5:25 pm - OH
VSG on 10/15/07 with

No they dont hurt at all, right now its more your skin hurt then the staples, really you dont even feel them take them out. You will do fine no pain meds are needed :)

Dr. David Schumacher MD @ Kettering Bariatrics My  
Got Approved!!! 8-30-07     IVC Filter In: 10-8-07    MY SURGERY 10-15-07 
IVC Filter Out: 11-5-07(had the op but couldnt get it out)

*100LBS lost as of 12-25-07*  *Finally hit TWOserville 3/29/08*
Pre-Op (36lbs) & Post-Op (139Lbs) =Total loss 175 lbs!!!

DanaRhea
on 4/1/08 5:25 pm - OKEMOS, MI
VSG on 05/16/08 with
I had 80 staples removed about 6 years ago from surgery.  Felt sorry for the surgeon when he removed them cause they tickled and I couldn't stop laughing. 
lippylulu
on 4/1/08 5:27 pm - Staten Island, NY
VSG on 03/26/08 with
Oh my that would be great!  Thanks everyone!!
Linda

.: Rana :.
on 4/1/08 6:50 pm - Near Grass Valley, CA
I had a BUNCH of staples removed last Aug. after having open surgery (not related to my WLS).  I was SO SCARED because I'm such a whimp!  I took a max dosage of my pain meds prior to my appt.  Turns out it wasn't necessary.

They have this handy-dandy little contraption that helps them remove the staples easily.  You might feel it, but it shouldn't hurt.  Oh, and you don't need to load up on your pain meds, but I would take a normal dose before you go.

Let us know how it goes!

Peace,
Rana
Jesus doesn't want me for a zombie, and He's given me free will so I can choose.  I've escaped this world's snare but I don't have to be square.  Oh yes, I have become a Christian but I still know how to groove!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juR8DoshsUk

Starting weight: 231; Goal weight: 140; Lowest weight: 117;
Current weight: 137 - 140

thenjelic1
on 4/1/08 6:56 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
My tummy hurt before I got the staples out and I thought the same thing - that it would hurt since I already had pain. It was just the opposite. The nurse had this really cool little tool ( a cross between scissors and a staple puller). She just gently slid it under the staple, squeezed the handle and the ends of the staple just popped up and out. I watched the whole thing and did not feel one bit of pain. You will be fine and congrats on your surgery.

HW: 423/ Pre-Op: 417/ DOS: 398

jane H.
on 4/1/08 7:11 pm - Salem/Keizer, OR
VSG on 09/18/06 with
As others have already said, ... not to worry. They are not staples like paper staples. It hurts more to pluck your eyebrows.     Blessings, Jane
LKH
on 4/1/08 7:17 pm - CO
I've had a bunch pulled too. There was only one that stung a bit, and that was kind of like a needle stick.  The rest I barely felt.  So no worries!