Weight loss with pre op diet

faithey
on 6/19/08 3:01 pm - Toronto, Canada
I was just wondering if others experienced rapid weight loss with their pre op diet.  I have been on mine for 6 days and it appears I have lost 14 pounds!!!  I work in a hospital and have been using the same scale to check my weight.  I have noticed little things seem a bit easier such as putting on certain clothes, sitting in certain chairs etc.  Dont get me wrong, if it is really true, I love it!  Im just hoping there is not something wrong with the scale tonight at work.  Anyone else experience quick weight loss so early into the pre op diet?
debrat
on 6/19/08 3:12 pm - Qualicum, Canada
OMG I am so jealous.  I have been on the liquid diet for 11 days and when I went and weighed in at my TOPS meeting I haven't lost a pound.  I don't know whatis up.  I have three protein drinks a day plus I am constantly drinking water.  A couple of times instead of proteindrinks I have had clear soup.  My clothes feel looser and I have had friends comment that I look like I have lost weight. but no I haven't.  I was very hungry tonight, but I had to do a gastric scope today so wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink after midnight last night.  I think its weird to not lose. A friend of mine who went on the liquid diet before he had his surgery lost a lot of weight very quickly and it just continued after his surgery (hehad a lap band) He has now lost 160lbs in approx 8 months.  He was over 450 lbs.
AlmaRene
on 6/19/08 4:54 pm - Woodhaven, MI
Debrat, keep in mind that a person weighing 450 pounds requires more calories to maintain that weight.  even if their metabolism is slow (11 calories per pound to maintain) it would take 4950 calories per day to stay at 450 pounds!  On a liquid diet of, say, 1200 calories a day, they would lose 3750 calories (translated that's 1.07 pounds) per day.  If they exercise and get their metabolism up (maybe requiring 14 calories per pound to maintain their weight), they'll lose even faster----about 1.46 pounds per day.  Your friend could lose as much as 15 pounds every 10 days!  Comparing that to someone who only weighs 225, they would only lose about 8 pounds in 10 days consuming the same amount of calories and exercising the same number of minutes per day.  Watch your calorie intake and keep as active as possible.  If you are NOT consuming enough to maintain your present weight (multiply your weight by a factor of 11-15, depending on how active your lifestyle is), you may want to check your metabolism to see if something is slowing it down, like an underactive thyroid or a side effect of medication you are taking. 
"The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be."  ---Bruce Lee
autum250
on 6/19/08 11:23 pm - rothbury, MI
wow! today is day 1 for me on the liquid diet and you just made my day!!  i hope i have the same results as you! that would be awesome. so keep up the good work! autum
Russ A.
on 6/20/08 2:12 am - MI
Autum, When you went in for the diet class yesterday, did they weigh you or say anything about weight loss or gain?  Also, what paperwork did you need to fill out at the class? Thanks so much, Russ
2phat
on 6/19/08 11:36 pm
I went from 326 to 297 (day of surgery) on my pre-op diet.  Your protein needs to be low carb-not knocking the ones that are  extra yummy, like Slim Fast, but they do not work!   Low-carb shrinks your liver, a good thing for your surgeon and a great thing for you!   Body Fortress 100% premium whey is what I use.  One scoop is 2g carb and 23 g protein.  You can do a lot of different things with this stuff if you want to and it is not expensive.  No need to go crazy with ordering high dollar stuff.  I did that and found that this is just as good or better tasting.  I am getting a lot of good protein without going broke.  Just my humble opinion...
 Sue   VSG     
February 14, 2007    

faithey
on 6/19/08 11:56 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I went on another unit in the hospital before leaving this morning and the weight was the same!!!  So it is really true!!  I am so excited and encouraged.  By the way, I am not on a liquid diet.  I am on a 2 week diet where I can eat no fat cottage cheese (unlimited), no fat no sugar added yogurt (unlimited), 1 piece of grilled skinless chicken or turkey, or 1 piece of fish fillet baked, broiled or grilled.  (this is all per day).  I need to drink at least 2 litres of water, and unlimited quantities of diet pop, skim milk, crystal lite.  It is going pretty well.  I usually do my chicken on the Foreman grill and eat it in the morning.  I keep my water bottle with me and drink throughout the day.  I dont feel very hungry and I am noticing I am having a little more energy.  This is the beginning of my new life...my exciting new journey!
garymiller1
on 6/20/08 9:12 am
Im almost enveyous of you.  FOOD.  This is the second time I have been on the pre op liquid diet.  My first date got postponed due to a leg injury. (possible blood clot issues)  I dont know what I lost the first pre op died but I weighed in at my family doctors office two weeks ago and I was down 20 #s.  I started my 2nd liquid diet 6 days ago, too, and Im ready to adjust a belt notch which tells me I have lost about 15 to 20 more #s.  I did very well on my liquid diet the first time and the tummy was only grumbling at me.  Today, however, Im having issues keeping the tummy from rebelling a lot.  I think it was due to a very active work day today which is not the norm for me.  I am happy for you and enjoy your new life.  See you on the loosers bench.
ammaw99
on 6/20/08 12:17 pm - TX
Amazing.  What are you eating/drinking?  I have to lose 16 pounds before surgery and have managed to lose 11.   I'm concerned as my date is July 9.  I also need to call to see when I need to start liquids. 
Most Active