gall bladder problems? or a twisted stomach?

OldMedic
on 11/22/09 11:28 pm - Alvaton, KY
To put it mildly, it would be extremely unusual for a stomach to twist that far post-op.

Has your husband not been on actigall?  All wls patients that still have their gall bladders should be on it for at least the first 6 months.  Any surgeon that does NOT prescribe it for their patients is really playing with fire.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

SoonSkinnyDonna
on 11/23/09 8:41 am - Dana Point, CA
 He was not prescribed actigall...just nexium for six months.....
SoonSkinnyDonna

HW 255 SW 240 CW 158
-- & lookin good! next goal - no flabby skin?

misseye
on 11/22/09 11:41 pm
you really ought not to give someone visodin for stomach trouble.  It can mask pain, so unless it is given by a doctor who is comfortable doing so, its really a bad idea.  On top of that, vicodin can make gall bladder pain much worse. 

The pain could be gas even.  Really should see a doc
Missy

SoonSkinnyDonna
on 11/23/09 8:45 am - Dana Point, CA
 hmmm - both the Mexican surgeon and the local PCP said it was good to have the pain med available for him and if it happened again to give it to him again.  He just took one and hasn't needed it since...but I understand what you mean about not masking something serious - we are scheduled for ultrasound with PCP in the morning....I kept saying probably gas, but evidently he thought it was much more severe than that....thanks for your input!
SoonSkinnyDonna

HW 255 SW 240 CW 158

sassyscorpio
on 11/23/09 9:12 am, edited 11/23/09 9:12 am
Apparenty you did not read my post.

I tried to ignore the symtoms instead of running to have surgery. That is what messed up my pancreas. After my pancreas was back to normal, I had my  gall bladder out. The surgeon said  it  was really infected and I should have had it out long ago instead of trying to go without  surgery.
SoonSkinnyDonna
on 11/23/09 9:37 am - Dana Point, CA
 hi - I got it and understand - just hard to decide to have surgery if there is a chance of it going away...guess we will see what the test shows tomorrow.
SoonSkinnyDonna

HW 255 SW 240 CW 158

misseye
on 11/23/09 10:29 am
a real doctor supported self treating belly pain with narcotics prescribed for other uses.  Thats alarming...highly alarming...
Missy

misseye
on 11/23/09 10:34 am
I'm sorry, but I am shocked.  Its nursing 101...medschool 101.  I have several times been in the HOSPITAL ER with belly pain and not once have they treated it with narcotics.  I was even scheduled for a emergency gall bladder op and had to suffer with the pain until the gall bladder was out.

My husband is a physician and I had to run this past him.  He said :there is no conceivable situation where you would do that".  He reiterated that you would just never do that, not in the ER, not EMS...and never sugest it for home.
Missy

SoonSkinnyDonna
on 11/23/09 11:56 pm - Dana Point, CA
 Well they didn't prescribe it originally - we just told them that that's what we had done and it worked - they said get the ultrasound done with your local PCP but did say if needed in the meantime to go ahead and take the vicodin again....I am surprised you were not given anything for your intense pain in the ER when you went in - especially if they already knew it was a bad gall bladder and were not trying to isolate the problem - that seems almost diabolic....I think the medical community in Mexico is more lenient with pain reduction than in the US - anyhow - I really appreciate your concerns and feedback .  We are seeing the PCP this morning and doing the ultrasound - husband is nervous about getting another surgery but will do whatever is recommended.
SoonSkinnyDonna

HW 255 SW 240 CW 158

TeriJ
on 11/24/09 2:26 am
How did the ultrasound go?
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views