desperate for answers
anewstart123 · 2 replies · 13 views
youtube vlog
jclopez · 1 replies · 17 views
Spokane, WA support group
crittemom · 4 replies · 25 views
One month update!
Thebiggestloser · 3 replies · 83 views

Differences between Gastic Sleeve and Gastric Plication?

CKnorte
on 7/4/10 4:46 pm - Avila Beach, CA
I was just wondering if any of you have had the Gastric Plication instead of the Sleeve?  I am all of a sudden starting to freak out about the non reversability of the surgery and  read about the plication as less "invasive" any thoughts?

I'm scheduled for VSG with Dr. Aceves on the 14th, but just wondering if anyone had this done?
grandma64
on 7/4/10 5:22 pm - IN
You can get more information on it at www.whyweight.com . There's a girl on the form that said she's having it done 7/27/10 with Dr. Corvala. Her name is Zanthina, look on the members list to find her and maybe she'll have some more info for you. Just a suggestion. Grandma64  By the way I had the VSG by Dr. Corvala and have lost 62 lbs. so far and he was a great doctor, and I've had no complications.

Highest Weight: 229.8  Present Weight: 122.2
107.6 lbs. lost!!!! 
I'm 2.8 lbs. below my goal weight!!!  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!!! 

grandma64
on 7/4/10 5:27 pm - IN
Another website you can get information on is www.angeleshealth.com  thats where Dr. Corvala is. Grandma64

Highest Weight: 229.8  Present Weight: 122.2
107.6 lbs. lost!!!! 
I'm 2.8 lbs. below my goal weight!!!  I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!!! 

Linda S.
on 7/4/10 5:45 pm - Acworth, GA
VSG on 05/31/10 with
I've never heard of plication but did want to say that I did have a split second of 'OMG this is forever' right before my surgery HOWEVER I did go ahead with the sleeve and couldn't be happier with it. NO regrets. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Linda
My Blog - http://mwlj2010.blogspot.com/

CKnorte
on 7/4/10 5:50 pm - Avila Beach, CA
I really think for me it's pre-op jitters.  But figured it didn't hurt to ask.  Plus OH has become my total backbone and support for this surgery.  My husband is on board, but I know that you all know what I'm am going through....so YIKES!

Lynn B
on 7/4/10 10:02 pm
Less invasive doesn't always mean - safer, easier, or as good. I had the lap band because it was less invasive - now I'm revising to the sleeve. Less invasive would have been having only one surgery.

Good luck!

Lynn B
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010

Looking for a support group - near Bridgewater MA - we've got a great one! We meet the last Monday of the month @ 6:30.

undercovermom
on 9/26/12 5:19 pm

Exactly right, Lynn B.  I wish I never had the Lap-band done.  It seemed to do good when I first gotten it, although I never gotten down to my goal weight, but then I gained all my weight back :/  The only thing that benefited me from the Lap-band is that I learned that nothing is a magical cure.  I'm thinking about having my lap-band taken out and have a gastric plication done.  At least I know to be more stricker on myself the next time around :)

Zanthina
on 7/4/10 11:20 pm - Jefferson City, MO
 Hello all,

I am indeed having the plication procedure done on 07/27.  What I would recommend is to attend the Plication webinar.  Go to http://www.angeleshealth.com/procedures/weight-loss/gastric-sleeve-plication.aspx  where there's a link to sign up for the next webinar session.  I found it to be extremely helpful in making a decision.  You can also go to YouTube and look up gastric sleeve imbrecation/imbrication and there's several videos of the procedure posted by a doctor doing clinical trials in the US.

I've decided on the plication procedure because, according to the data from the first patients who underwent the procedure through Dr. Corvala (they are 3 years out) the results have been in the same range of weight loss as the gastrectomy procedure. With the plication procedure, there is no cutting so the risk of leaks is greatly reduced.  The recovery period is lessened, typically only 2 days in the hospital (or in many cases less than 2 days).  Another plus is that, if for whatever reason the patient decides she needs a revision procedure, the sutures can be removed and the stomach is in its original form.  This makes it much easier for surgeons to perform additional procedures if needed.

I asked the bariatric team about the ghrelin issue, that is if patients aren't having the ghrelin-producing portion of the stomach removed then do they suffer from sever hunger that won't go away?  The answer I received was that, so far, the patients who went through the plication procedure have experienced similar reductions in the hormone and have had no more issues with hunger than those who have had the sleeve procedure.  This is explained by the fact that the stretchy part of the stomach is sutured, leaving only the not-as-stretchy part left over.  When patients eat, the stomach sends signals to the brain that it is full much sooner because the "I'm full" signal is triggered by stomach stretching.  In a natural stomach, the stretchy part is expected and designed to stretch and doesn't trigger the "I'm hungry" signal sent to the brain very quickly.  It's when the firmer part of the stomach (the part left behind and intact after surgery) experiences a bit of stretch that the signal is sent and sent strongly.  Because the stomach is sending the "I'm full" signal to the brain pretty much every time a post-op person eats even just a little bit, the body naturally reduces ghrelin production.  This is because the brain is being told by the stomach that patients are stuffing themselves every single time they eat.  

Anyhoo, if I can be of any more help, please let me know.  You can PM me or email me at my OH screen name at gmail.com.

-Lexy

PenneyD28
on 9/21/13 11:20 am

I was just curious how your surgery went. I am having the plication added to my lapband on October 1, 2013 and was wandering if you had any complications and how you have done thus far.

BelizeSleeve
on 7/5/10 12:25 am
VSG on 06/12/09 with
I think it is absolutley a personal choice.

I am the kind of person that would gladly give up my whole stomach to be slim and healthy...  however, that does not make it right for everyone.

I specifically asked my surgeon to take as much as he possibly and safely could.  And to throw the thing away in the garbage where it belonged.  I never wanted to see it again!

When I woke up from surgery I had a moment of OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE!!  But it was fleeting and I have not had one regret since!!

I love my Sleeve and I am very happy with my choice.

Good luck with your decision.

Cindy

High Weight - 230 lbs, Goal Weight - 155 lbs Achieved
       Revised Goal - 145 lbs Working on it!   Current Range - 145 - 155 lbs

Join Us On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
            www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion

OldMedic
on 7/5/10 8:48 am - Alvaton, KY
There are Zero studies published that show that gastric plication works.

To me, that says it all.  There is one major study going on right now, that has no results at all, to see if this surgery actually does what the doctors that are advocating it claim it does.

Medically speaking, if you do NOT remove the Ghrellin producing portion of the stomach, it WILL continue to manufacture that hormone and get it into the bloodstream.  That is simply medical fact.  No amount of stitching could possibly prevent that.

If you are affected by ghrellin (as most of us are), the end result would be virtually constant hunger.  The odds are very great that this would lead to virtually constant "grazing".

Plication is nothing more than a new version of "stomach stapling", but they are using sutures instead of staples.  Stomach stapling did not work, it caused a myriad of medical problems and it is no longer allowed in this country.

I suspect that plication will have the same fate.

It is your body.  If you do not mind being a guinea pig, and you know full well that the odds are high that you WILL require a 2nd surgery, then go ahead.  I wish you the best.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

atia
on 6/26/12 9:13 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13
Thats similar to the band...10 yrs overseas but not here in the states.  If this is the case, I'm questioning why people who have bypass have a significant stat with regain after 5 yrs out. 

I'm banded 9 yrs but still have 100 lbs to lose.  I've lost 238 lbs and kept it off.  I'm looking into plication.

atia

USAF Wife
on 6/27/12 5:11 am
On June 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM Pacific Time, atia wrote:
Thats similar to the band...10 yrs overseas but not here in the states.  If this is the case, I'm questioning why people who have bypass have a significant stat with regain after 5 yrs out. 

I'm banded 9 yrs but still have 100 lbs to lose.  I've lost 238 lbs and kept it off.  I'm looking into plication.

atia

Check out plicationtalk.com

There's little success with it, I know of at least 3 who have ALL revised to the sleeve because the plication doesn't work. 

NOT to mention it is NOT as "reversible" as it was advertised to be.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

atia
on 6/27/12 10:16 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13
I'm leery of the sleeve...i'm 46, removing 85% of a healthy organ doesnt seem ok. 

t
USAF Wife
on 6/28/12 6:49 am
On June 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Pacific Time, atia wrote:
I'm leery of the sleeve...i'm 46, removing 85% of a healthy organ doesnt seem ok. 

t
 But you're ok with folding it onto itself, suturing it, and causing permanent scar tissue and adhesions to a healthy organ??? 

Like I said, the results are shoddy at best, weight loss is not great, there's many surgeons, who were once selling this procedure as the sleeve killer, not even performing it anymore because of poor results. 

But you can find those stories all over the place. Then the creepy complications that are associated with this surgery scare me far more than losing a portion of an organ that did Nothing positive for me.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

EstherStar
on 7/5/10 10:11 am
I'm so glad you posted your thoughts on this OM!! I was kinda freaking out that maybe I could've had this new procedure and not needed a VSG. I did an insane amount of research over this surgery and I think I did what was best for me at this time.
Now that you clarified the differences and the hormonal-chemical effects of the ghrelin I understand why the plication may not be as effective as a VSG. I guess we have to wait and see if this plication will make it or not.

EstherStar
Zee Starrlite
on 7/7/10 8:48 am
VSG on 06/06/11 with

Why I have mixed thoughts abouts this whole ghrelin theory - the Band does nothing at all to suppress ghrelin production yet with some restriction for me hunger is almost non-existent.  It was an incredible feeling for me early post-op with the band.  I thought, this is "magic" because I really suffer with hunger issues - I mean crying hunger, hunger where you can do nothing but focus on getting something to eat.  Hunger that interrupts sleep.  So ghrelin thing is no big deal to me.  Besides that, production increases shortly (months)  after a gastrectomy.  Our bodies have a funny way of adapting.

Good Luck to you.  You can make work whatever you choose. 

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

doggz109
on 6/28/12 7:07 am, edited 6/28/12 7:07 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12 with
What I find sad....but kind of funny is that the people who posted that they got a plication.....one just sorta faded out....their ticker stuck with 100+ lbs left to lose.

The other one.....her posting history details a **** load of complications from her "plication" and then she too just kinda fades out.

Hope someone out there learns something from this necro thread.

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/10 10:39 am
On July 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, CKnorte wrote:
I was just wondering if any of you have had the Gastric Plication instead of the Sleeve?  I am all of a sudden starting to freak out about the non reversability of the surgery and  read about the plication as less "invasive" any thoughts?

I'm scheduled for VSG with Dr. Aceves on the 14th, but just wondering if anyone had this done?
The difference between Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastric Plication Surgery is huge. Sleeve gastrectomy is the only irreversible bariatric procedure. Even Gastric Bypass is a potentially reversible procedure. The great advantage of Gastric Plication Surgery is that nothing is removed.