how much weight can you lose with the verticle sleeve gastrectomy ?

rogerferguson
on 9/13/10 7:11 pm - Graham, TX
 how much weight can you lose with the verticle sleeve gastrectomy ?
Heather D.
on 9/13/10 8:05 pm - Austin, TX
A lot. Personally, I lost about 124 lbs in less than a year.

I guess it depends on how much you have to lose, how closely and how long you follow the dietary plans, how much you exercise. I'm sure there's an "excess weight" percentage floating around on the internets somewhere, but I don't know what it is.

Hope that helps. At least a little.

rogerferguson
on 9/13/10 8:13 pm - Graham, TX
Heather, Thank you so much for the info   and yes it helps VERY much !!!!    I need to lose about 175 to 185 pounds !!!    I have already lost 132 lbs on my own eating 1000 cals a day for the past year !!  So i think the VGS would be perfect !!    Can I ask you one more question ?   Was the surgery VERY painful  when you woke up ?  Have to get off here for now but if you get a chance sometime today, I would like to hear what you have to say about the severity of the surgery !!!!
  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME.  THIS IS ALL SO NEW TO ME.   I WAS GOING TO HAVE THE RNY BUT MY DOCTOR SUGGESTED THIS TODAY AND  I WAS AT TOTAL LOSS....HAVE A GREAT DAY.....WILL CHECK BACK ON HERE AROUND 7 TONIGHT....GOD BLESS YOU !!!
rogerferguson
on 9/13/10 8:15 pm - Graham, TX
I meant,,, my doctor suggested this yesterday at visit !!!    lol
Heather D.
on 9/13/10 8:18 pm - Austin, TX
132 lbs on your own! Awesome! :)

When I woke up I did have a little pain from the gas (walking walking and walking some more helps get rid of that) and a little bit of a sore throat from the anesthesia. The incisions weren't particularly painful. Mainly I felt really stiff and beat up, but the pain was managable. One of the worst parts was having to sleep sitting up/propped up on a pillow. Laying down was just not an option for me but some people have no problems with it.

Take care!

Dandy_DeeDee
on 9/13/10 9:01 pm
Mandyplus2 ..
on 9/14/10 2:10 am - GA
"Roger, you're one of the lucky ones if your surgeon suggested the VSG over the RNY!"

Ditto this. BIG props to your surgeon!!!
 5'8" - 40 years old

rogerferguson
on 9/14/10 11:07 am - Graham, TX
Dear DeeDee,  THANK YOU  so much for yout imput on this !!!   It helps  SO MUCH !!!   You will never know !!!    God Bless you !!!
rogerferguson
on 9/14/10 11:38 am - Graham, TX

Dear DeeDee,  THANK YOU  so much for yout imput on this !!!   It helps  SO MUCH !!!   You will never know !!!    God Bless you !!!   
Conrats on your success !!!    Very encouraging !!!   I need to lose 185 pounds to be at my goal weight and I think with weightloss surgery I can do it !!!     Was just having trouble deciding which surgery !!!    Im just worried about gaining the weight back with the  VSG....  At one time, I weighed 500lbs  and I  NEVER want to be that big again !!!!    I am now down to around 380 as of now but want to weigh 185......   I am proud I have lost this much weight on my own but I feel I need the surgery to help with the rest !!!!    God has been the one to get me this far and I know he will finish this journey with me  !!!!          Good luck to you my friend    and may I add how beautiful you are in your profile picture !!!
Dandy_DeeDee
on 9/14/10 8:59 pm

Well I'm glad my information could help you Roger.  Thank you for the compliment on my profile picture too! *Giggles*  Although, I'm not sure what you are referring to about my success as I haven't even had surgery yet either, I'm still fighting to get it done, a process that I've been in for over a year and a half actively.  I am hoping that by Christmas of this year I will be able to finally have my surgery.  I have one more appointment with the dietitian next week and if all goes well, she's give me her final okay and pass my file on to the surgeon.  Then I think I have one appointment with the surgeon and he'll give me my surgery date... again, that's if he agrees to do the VSG and not the RNY, otherwise, this is another dead end road for me and I'll have to start the whole process over again at another facility for the 4th time! 

Anyway, have a great day and good luck with your journey!  It sounds like you know what you want and your doing your research, which are two very important aspects to this journey as far as I'm concerned.  Along with many other aspects of course.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views