HEAD HUNGER 8 signs emotional eating

Carmelita
on 4/7/11 12:37 am - Four Corners, NM
From emails I get from Shrink Yourself...thought it might help some of us that can't distinguish between REAL hunger and HEAD hunger  

From Shrink Yourself...

http://www.shrinkyourself.com/articles/the_eight_signs_of_em otional_eating.asp?utm_source=article&utm_medium=email&utm_c ampaign=article_04_06_11

"How do I know if I am overeating for emotional reasons?"

Here are some specific symptoms and signs that you can look for to help you determine if you are an Emotional Eater. See which ones ring true for you...

1. My hunger comes on suddenly.
Physical hunger comes on slowly. Hunger from emotional eating often comes on quickly and suddenly.

2. I crave specific foods—generally not carrot sticks or steamed broccoli.
Cravings for specific, usually unhealthy foods is a sign of emotional eating. Often people like the rush they get from satisfying their cravings. That rush is fulfilling emotional hunger.

3. My hunger feels urgent—I need a particular food right away and I'm willing to walk out of my way, or get in your car late at night, or raid my kid's Halloween candy to get it.
Physical hunger, unless you haven't eaten for a very long time, is usually pretty patient. It will wait for food. Emotional hunger demands to be satisfied immediately.

4. My hunger is often paired with an upsetting emotion—if I backtrack a few hours or a few days I'll usually find an upsetting event and feeling that triggered the urge.
Hunger that's connected to an upsetting emotion or situation is definitely emotional hunger. Physical hunger is not typically triggered by emotions.

5. My eating habits involve unconscious eating—all of a sudden I'm eating ice-cream and I find the whole container is gone.
When you're eating for physical reasons, you are usually mindful of what you're doing. If you catch yourself eating "just because," then it's likely you're eating for emotional reasons.

6. I don't stop eating in response to being full—I keep wanting more of the taste of the food.
Physical hunger doesn't need to be stuffed in order to be satisfied. Emotional hunger on the other hand often demands more and more food to feel satisfied.

7. My hunger isn't located in belly—I crave the taste of a certain food in my mouth or I can't stop thinking of a certain food.
Feeling hungry in this way is usually a sign of emotional hunger or Physical hunger is happy to get what it can, while emotional hunger usually focuses on specific tastes and textures.

8. After I satisfy my hunger, I am often filled with a sense of regret or guilt.
Feeding your body what it needs is not something to feel guilty about. If you feel guilty after you eat, it's likely because part of you knows you're not eating just to satisfy physical hunger.

If you don't experience any of the preceding statements, it's likely that you're struggling with simple biological hunger.

Remember that eating for emotional reasons is not a weakness, or anything to be ashamed or embarrassed about. The first step to empowerment is acknowledging the problem, thereby creating a space for healing to begin.
doublewinner
on 4/7/11 12:58 am - NJ

Thank you for posting this. I struggle alot with this subject. I'm a month and a few days
post-surgery and reallly can't tell yet what is head vs real huunger.

Lalamonkey
on 4/7/11 1:42 am - GA
Love this!  Thanks for posting!

raykie2003
on 4/7/11 2:17 am
Wonderful post!

HW:265 SW:235 GW:130 Height:5'3

Lois Griffin: Come on Stewie, don't be afraid. It's just water, it's not gonna bite.
Stewie Griffin: Shut up! I know it's not going to bite, stupid! What a stupid thing to say. You drown in it you moron! It doesn't have to bite you!
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 3:34 am
Excellent post and I am putting it on my refrigerator as I struggled with head hunger all day yesterday and lost repeatedly.  I was wondering if you might wish to follow this with some good strategies to deal with head hunger.  I probably know them, but I need to hear them again and again and again....  Thank you.
Kelby F.
on 4/7/11 4:03 am - Minot, ND
Great post Carmelita!!!

Good thing to have on hand when I'm stuggling with the "Hmm am I really hungry or is just my head" to take and read and really make me think about it before making a poor decision!

~Kelby~       HW: 356 SW: 330 CW:231 GW: 175 I'm 5'6"

"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be."

sublimate
on 4/7/11 4:27 am - San Jose, CA
Wow, this is good.. I know I can relate to many of these things, especially craving cheese (specific food), wanting the taste only, and feeling bad afterward. I too need the follow up.. how to respond to the emotional eating!

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

jimbovsg
on 4/7/11 4:44 am
Have this book on my kindle...love it. great info...thanks!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Most Active