Sleeve and smoking

bekahler
on 4/27/11 7:19 am - Parkville, MD
 i have no idea if they do it for other surgeries or not...I only know what they told us regarding the WLS...as this is what your post was speaking to.

and pot and liquor in moderation doesnt have the same negative effects medically speaking as what you are doing to your body smoking cigarettes on a daily basis.

If its important enough to you I guess you will follow the drs orders... 
"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

carabarnes
on 4/27/11 12:53 am
My doc did a nicotine test pre-op. I'm a social smoker so it wasn't hard for me to quit before surgery. Congrats on your surgery date and Good Luck!

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

Father Don
on 4/27/11 12:53 am - Charleston, SC
I do not know how true this is, but was told that smoking will also increase the risk of ulcers after surgery - especially around the suture line.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 1:02 am - Des Moines, IA
yes I heard that too, but from what I am seeing the risk of smoking is the same with any surgery. but with any surgery smoking or not there is always a risk of anything happening. thanks everyone. I have not really convinced myself of the surgery yet. i am still going through the process and still doing my research :) 
msshellwillis
on 4/27/11 1:04 am

Yep, I too was told of the bleeding ulcers because of smoking. Your new stomach is small and sensitive. Bleeding ulcers, and blood clots are dangerous and common with the sleeve if you don't follow the rules. My surgeon required I quit 4 weeks prior to surgery. I did. I do miss it. But I did have the sleeve to better my health, so it only seems obvious that I protect my sleeve and myself and continue on this skinny, smokeless journey.

I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!

HW (1/1/2011): 382. SW (4/15/2011): 357. CW (03/29/2012): 275.
                                                Sleeved on 4-15-11                

kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 1:05 am - Des Moines, IA
Very well said .. Thank you
Gracieteddy
on 4/27/11 1:07 am - IA

Who is your Dr. I am also in the Des Moines area?

Carmelita
on 4/27/11 1:10 am - Four Corners, NM
Yeah when I was scoutin for a surgeon...one in CO said...I had to be smoke free for 6 MONTHS prior to surgery. I quit! (thank you commit lozenges!) I needed VSG that bad!   Didn't go with that surgeon...found one in CA...by the time I went through the insurance process I was/am A NON-SMOKER! Im also a NON-STINKER! lol

there's lots of tools to help ya quit! they won't work if ya don't use em as intended tho...much like VSG!!   holler away or do a OH forum search.

Here's some info on SMOKING and the effects on the digestive system ...which us altered folk really need to be mindful of!
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/smoking/

Easy peasy...do this for YOU!

kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 1:17 am - Des Moines, IA
LOL.. funny :) thanks :)
Tami78
on 4/27/11 1:26 am
My doctor made me quit before he would schedule surgery.  He said that he would test for nicotine but I don't think he actually did.  (Not sure though) It was really hard and to be honest I did sneak one or two here and there but I am a little more than one week post surgery and I don't even like the taste/smell of a cigarette anymore (thank god).

Most Active