When to buy ONE airline seat?

sleevegirl
on 5/16/11 10:22 pm - Austin, TX
This may seem like a stupid question, "well, when you can fit in just one"... I've bought two airline seats for quite a while now and I honestly cannot remember when or at what weight I was able to buy just one. My surgery is on 6/21 and I will be on a trip four months later. I'm wondering at what point most people just buy one seat.... Hmmm.... Maybe I'm also just looking forward to the possibility of at least one little part being normal. *laughing*

I know, it all depends on how fast I lose, etc etc etc. I'm just mulling it over publically, I suppose... 

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Crunchy As Can Be
on 5/16/11 11:15 pm - NY
Unfortunaly I don't have an answer for you about airline seats and body weight, but girl-- I did want to say that you already *are* normal! You're wonderful and bright, proactive for your life and your health, and nothing that anybody says should make you feel like you're abnormal!

Keep up the confidence, the good attitude and after your surgery in June, the hard work that's needed for awesome success and you'll fit right into one seat before you know it!
 ~~Emily~~

Hayd9654
on 5/16/11 11:26 pm - AZ
 I can tell you this...I was at ur weight when I started and always just bought one seat. Was never told to buy more than one. But now I am 276 and am comfortable in the plane seat. I flew about 3 weeks and no problems at all and am going thursday and should not be a problem either. 

I would say that you would not need to buy a second seat in four months.

kanga003
on 5/16/11 11:39 pm
I would totally just get one.  My husband id 375 and 6'3" and he has always got one (with the fear of needing 2) and he never did.  Last time I flew I was around 280 and was all set as well.  Neither of us even needed extenders, but it's close :-)
acbbrown
on 5/16/11 11:51 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I flew at 360lbs (im 5'10) and only bought one seat, and didn't need an extender. It was far from comfortable, but one seat was enough.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/11 11:54 pm
I flew on a domestic flight in December of 2010 and I was at about 280.  I fit fine but couldn't get the table out of the armrest to come down over my big self but I didn't need a seatbelt extender.  I couldn't see the seatbelt past my boobs but I "felt" my way to buckle it. 
cindibarre
on 5/17/11 12:28 am, edited 5/17/11 12:29 am - Danforth, ME
Sleevegirl!

Let's think positive and only buy one seat. Even at 340 I have been able to squeeze myself into a coach seat with an extender belt. My partners may not have liked it but I find Southwest's policy to be ridiculous and discriminatory. I'm surprised the airlines haven't been sued.

But all that aside be positive and buy one seat. Better yet celebrate your new life and buy one first class seat!

I'll be rooting for you. I haven't been scheduled yet but hope to have my surgery in late July.

Cindi

HW - 351 SW 0 342  SurgW - 298!  1st. Seminar July 2010 Surgery  August 1, 2011  
CJCC55
on 5/17/11 12:36 am - Cleveland, TN
Be positive!!!!
Only buy one seat. I am sure you will comfortable with just one.
Make that one of your goals!
Keep us posted.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

byebyeburden
on 5/17/11 12:39 am

I forgot to look, when you had surgery or if it is scheduled soon....but the first month and in two months, I am pretty sure you will be down a lot (maybe 50 lbs).....and you will not believe how much better you can move and fit into seats. 

If you are buying 2 seats now, I bet in 1-2months after surgery you can buy 1 seat and feel perfectly fine in it.  Good Luck.  At 255 (I hold all my weight in the middle) I was getting very, very, very close to needing an extender.  Now under 200; I can buckle with no problem, I can fit into a booth and even driving my car is easier.  It will happen, good luck and hugs!

~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

sleevegirl
on 5/17/11 2:21 am - Austin, TX
Thanks everyone... what I mean by normal is normal life stuff, one airline seat, sitting at a booth comfortably, etc etc. My weight is carried around my middle so while I could probably squish the armrest down, it's not worth my comfort or theirs. I'll actually say that Southwest, who I usually fly, is fabulous. They will refund the 2nd ticket to you as long as there is no over sale. That I know of, they are the only airline that does that. So, I'd rather front the extra ticket and be more comfortable myself and for my fellow passengers. (Just FYI for those that didn't know they refund the 2nd ticket)

ANYWAY... I'm hopeful to need only one seat. I'm not purchasing yet... was just something I was thinking about.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around byebye's 50 pounds in two months. LOL

Thanks everyone. I'm excited!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views