adding protein powder to coffee?

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 3:23 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

I make my coffee warm. I mix my protien powder with my almond milk (not warm).  Then I take, like a 1/3 cup scooper (I only say 1/3 cup, cuz that's how much almond milk I use, so its available) of the warm coffee and put it into while stirring the cold mixture.  This "tempers" the cold mixture, then another, mix, and then just pour the now, lukewarmy mixture into the hot coffee.

Nuking wtih protein in it has always made for overflow mess and concrete cleanup in my nukerowave! 

BAShinn
on 5/23/11 3:26 am - AR
VSG on 11/17/07 with
First make a pot of coffee.  Then, in a cup, mix a little water and your protein powder.  When it is mixed very well, add the hot coffee.  Otherwise, CLUMP CITY!!! 

Bridget    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad.  An optimist is a man who hopes they are.  ~Chauncey Mitchell Depew
SW: 275   
CW: 225   GW: 150

Total lost: 50 lbs.

byebyeburden
on 5/23/11 3:29 am
You guys are the best! 

We don't like those microwave messes do we? :) thanks again!
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Margo N.
on 5/23/11 3:37 am, edited 5/23/11 3:39 am
If you heat protein powder too much it will cook and clump and generally be horrible. (Think of the difference between raw and cooked egg white.)

If you start with cold coffee, stir in the protein powder, and heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring well after each 30 seconds - usually takes me 1 - 1.5 minutes to heat a large mug, and sometimes I still overcook and have to strain it out and start again.

What I usually do is mix 1.5 scoops of chocolate protein powder with a couple ounces of almond milk and a shot or two of sugar free Torani syrup - mix it well into a slurry, then pour in the hot coffee, stirring well as I pour. This pretty much always works without clumping.

When I will be getting my coffee while out, I bring my thermos mug already prepped with the prestirred protein / almond milk / syrup mixture and STRESS to the barista that my mug should NOT be rinsed as it has protein powder in it. Once in a while they still screw it up and dump out the protein - leaving me REALLY aggravated (and hungry!)!

I have 1 or 2 of these a day  and LOOOVE my protein coffee!!!

Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 6:57 am
I cannot drink coffee that is not piping hot.  I add the protein to the hot coffee and use a mini wisk to get the lumps out.  I have never had a problem with it. I use Desert brand protein and its sooooo good.
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/11 7:23 am
I mix a scoop of chocolate protein powder with 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate milk in my magic bullet.  Then I take my hot coffee, heat it up a little more in the microwave, add the chocolate protein mix to the coffee and stir.  It comes out like a mocha, frothy, well mixed, hot and delicious.
Most Active