sleeve = anorexia?

ToDream
on 5/24/11 1:25 pm, edited 5/24/11 1:39 pm - Comox, Canada
Something I've been struggling with recently.  I'm looking at the caloric needs of a person post-sleeve and comparing it to what a typical anorexic might intake.  It's the same.

[quote]
Persons with anorexia nervosa continue to feel hunger, but deny  themselves all but very small quantities of food. The average caloric  intake of a person with anorexia nervosa is 600–800 calories per day,  but there are extreme cases of complete self-starvation

Anorexia nervosa and the associated malnutrition that results from self-imposed starvation, can cause severe complications in every major organ system in the body.[16][17][18]
  • obvious, rapid, dramatic weight loss
  • lanugo: soft, fine hair grows on face and body [19]
  • obsession with calories and fat content
  • preoccupation with food, recipes, or cooking; may cook elaborate dinners for others but not eat themselves[20]
  • fear of gaining weight or becoming overweight
  • rituals: cuts food into tiny pieces; refuses to eat around others; hides or discards food
  • purging: uses laxatives, diet pills, ipecac syrup, or water pills; may engage in self-induced vomiting; may run to the bathroom after eating in order to vomit and quickly get rid of the calories[21][22]
  • may engage in frequent, strenuous exercise [23]
  • perception: perceives self to be overweight despite being told by others they are too thin
  • becomes intolerant to cold: frequently complains of being cold due  to loss of insulating body fat or poor circulation due to extremely low  blood pressure; body temperature lowers (hypothermia) in effort to conserve energy [24]
  • depression: may frequently be in a sad, lethargic state[25]
  • solitude: may avoid friends and family; becomes withdrawn and secretive
  • clothing: some may wear baggy, loose-fitting clothes to cover weight  loss if they have been confronted about their health and wish to hide  it, while others will wear baggy clothing to hide what they see as an  unattractive and overweight body.
  • swollen joints[citation needed]
  • abdominal distension[citation needed]
[/quote]

Where is the difference?  Just the mental aspect?

**excerpts taken from wikipedia**

Follow my Entire Journey at www.myaceinhand.blogspot.com

VSG April 25,2011   SW 223/ GW 135/ CW 135

WLS goal reached Feb 2012... now on to my body reconstruction Early 2014!!  

Crimson
on 5/24/11 1:35 pm, edited 5/24/11 1:35 pm - MD
the difference is we are not putting our bodies into starvation mode. our stomachs are only able to hold a certain amount. if someone with an original stomach lived on 600 calories for the rest of their lives, they're guaranteed to live short life.

our anatomy after the sleeve is no longer the same of a "normal" person. we are able to adapt to our new bodies, someone with an eating disorder isn't adapting, because their bodies will not allow it
we physically can't eat, they mentally can't eat

that's just my 2 cents
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/11 1:36 pm - Edmonton, Canada
Yes, I agree with the calorie intake, but remember that is in the beginning within 12 months we are up to 1200 calories.
countrygolden
on 5/24/11 1:41 pm - Amboy, WA
 Well, I'm not sure how a mental health professional would look at it, but, for me, I'm not keeping my calories to 600-800 per day. Neither my Nut nor my surgeon recommended that. Sure, the first month or so...but after that, i eat until I'm satisfied (not necessarily full!). I'm not in a state of depression or seek solitude! I am happy for this gift...and I'm not limiting my food due to any sort of mental need for deprivation...I limit it to what is comfortable and healthy for me. I think that is the difference. I don't believe an anorexic worries about the nutritional side...I do. I take my vitamins and make sure I get in all of my protein. I'm not surviving on green salads with no dressing and little protein or nutrition. I'm exercising to lose weight but to also maintain my muscles and to remain healthy. I probably am a little obsessive right now, but I'm not quite 4 months out and I'm still trying to lose. But, again, I'm losing to get healthy, not due to some warped sense of myself. Once I reach my desirable weight, I will do whatever it takes to not lose any more! Again, not typical of an anorexic.

Starting Weight-228.6, SW-221.4, CW-173 GW-125
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/11 1:44 pm
I'm not sleeved yet, but...
I think that most people are getting more than 600-800 calories a day long-term. That's just for the first few months isn't it? And it's not because they deny themselves, but because their stomach just won't hold it and they are not hungry. But VSGers DO generally make sure they are getting all the nutrition they need by using protein drinks and vitamin supplements. I don't think anorexics are concerned with nutrition.

And what VSGer have you seen that still thinks they are fat after they have hit goal? Usually it seems they are ecstatic with their size and in some cases strive to not lose too much. And depression? Are you reading the same posts I am? The ones that have hit or are close to goal are anything BUT depressed!  They are out living life not being sad and lethargic. And they go out and buy fitting clothes and rock them, not try to hide their weight loss with baggy clothes.

So, no. I don't think VSG=anorexia. 
MotivatedMomma
on 5/24/11 1:49 pm
DS on 10/20/14
 Like the other posters, I do not see similarity between your quote, and anorexia.  I've had a close family friend battle it, so I 'know' a lot about it.

With eating disorders,there is an insane level of obsession involved.  It's not just the calories, its the control over every aspect of their life.

And while we VSG'rs do initially keep our calories low, we are very concerned with staying hydrated, taking supplements, and getting in protein.  Not to mention being active at a healthy level.

In other words, we are trying to utilize our tool to help us live a healthier life.  Its not just about the number on the scale.

Contrast this to my 'friend' who used to obsessively floss in case a scrap of food was left between her teeth.  Laxative abuse, health issues, dental issues.  OMG I could go on and on.

And btw I feel obesity is just as dangerous as anorexia, which is why i will always defend the VSG lol.  I used to live in the UK and there was a great tv show there, Superskinny vs Superfat.  It's amazing how similar each disorder is. 

Jasonm11
on 5/24/11 2:23 pm
I think you also have to consider how a person who properly eats 600-800 calories after having the sleeve, is getting the nutrition they need even if it is only the minimum to live healthy. An anorexic person generally isn't going to take the time to ensure they are meeting their minimum nutritional needs. That alone is why I think if a person isn't mentally stable or capable enough to deal with this, they should avoid any weight loss surgery. It requires some constant care for life to achieve the proper nutritional needs.
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/11 2:54 pm
Ummm. Ok.
Anorexia nervosa is a mental disorder.. which is exhibited through many different behaviors.. focused on a disordered body image.

We are on a medically supervised/prescribed reduced calorie intake to treat obesity.. Two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS. I cannot even fathom how you can compare them.. so I'm not going to try. 

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/24/11 9:02 pm - New Orleans
You nailed it.  Listen to Jo... she's a smart cookie.  Sugar-free, of course.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

priyankawillshine
on 5/24/11 3:14 pm, edited 5/24/11 3:24 am
hi,
i agree with all the answere ,
and would just like to add that

" if we were even 1% like aneroxians then we wouldn't have reached where we are(or were), and also some vsgrs wouldn't be gaining it all back even after the ristriction of the surgery."

which proves our mindset is different then theirs. way way way different.

and guess what even after our 70%of the ghrellin harmone production is stopped and 80%of the stonach is cut off , we still manage to cheat once in a while.

also if you see carefully our goals are set to some healthy levals ,not to some ridiclous 60lb or 40 lb

LilySlim - (m9B4)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views