Protein drinks (ranting, you can just ignore me...)

sleevegirl
on 5/30/11 10:31 am - Austin, TX
Dear Protein Drink Makers -- Some of us are allergic to soy. If you have a drink that's WHEY and it has soy letichin in it, it's STILL FREAKING SOY. *deep breath* I have spent an obscene amount of money on samples only to not be able to use them - I smartened up and started emailing if nutrition info wasn't available, but still - people, 100% whey is misleading if you use soy as the binding agent or whatever the heck you people say you do.

To the rest of you - must you make them taste like vomit? Seriously?

------------------------

I do believe I'm going to completely lose my mind trying to find a protein drink that I can even handle (Did I mention I'm also slightly lactose intolerant and it doesn't matter because I cannot stand milk - even the fake stuff makes me shudder). Sigh.

I found Jay Robb online, so I ordered samples from there and I'm trying to find a GNC here in town that has Max Protein. I have, basically, tried all the rest of them.

My doc's instructions mention that another option is to just use the unflavored stuff in water. I'm starting to think I may have to try that... if I can find one without soy! *laughing*

*banging head against wall*

I'm supposed to have a 2 week pre op diet. I'm thinking of just putting myself into a self induced coma for two weeks instead. LOL

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

MediumSoon
on 5/30/11 10:37 am - TX
BE WARNED!!! The unflavored stuff DOES have a taste - and it's disgusting!! That in water would HAVE to be worse than the other vomit-tasting protein drinks.... Other than that I have no advice. I only drank the Atkins ones for my liquid diet - and haven't had one since. I hope you find what you need.

sleevegirl
on 5/30/11 10:47 am - Austin, TX
Thanks Medium, I'm just ranting and laughing at the same time. I'm the freak that allergic to so many weird things (apples and most fruits, all tree nuts, all soy and some random other things that make people think - what? I mean, WHO is allergic to apples - and worse, my throat closes up so it's not a mild allergy at all to any of those things). I do have a coffee drink from BE that I've not tried yet that looks interesting. I think it has soy letichin in it, which my allergist says I MIGHT can do - advises against it, but I'm desperate, but I've been avoiding trying it because it scares me.

I might mix that up with some ice and head to his office to try it. I've never had to use my epi pen and he's cool with me doing it in his office if I need to test something out. I might try that just to see before I move on to trying a few other things... I'm just scared. The reaction is pretty scary. (My allergist rocks, I'm doing 2 shots 3 times a week right now for various environmental allergies - that all relate to my food allergies - he's thinking that if it's trace soy, I might be to the point we can test it out). I'm just terrified. 

But yeah, it some weird dark comedy way, it's really hilarious to me for some reason. Oh, I just remembered a friend of mine told me to try the vegan one that Whole Foods has too, she said her husband uses it and doesn't hate it... I'll grab a can of that too before I go testing the soy theory!

Sorry, rambling... Hmmm.. maybe if I do the "unflavored" with some lemon or something... hmmm... I'll have to spend the next week trying. I just looked and I do technically have a few others that I've not tried, but it's mainly flavors of other brands I've tried.

I really need booze. Lotsa booze.

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

hollykim
on 5/30/11 1:02 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
check out  WWW.teraswhey.com and WWW.drmercola.com foor their protein shakes. The both are good and Terass whey has limited inmgredients.
good luck,
Holly

sleevegirl
on 5/30/11 11:18 pm - Austin, TX
 Tera's Whey has soy :( Not sure about the other one... I'll look at it though, thanks!

MediumSoon
on 5/30/11 1:32 pm - TX
 I am so sorry you have to deal with all that.  Good luck.  Please be careful.

michellemj
on 5/30/11 10:51 am
Can you have almond milk? It looks like the Silk brand of almond milk (which comes in unsweetened so it has way less carbs) is free of soy. The one I drink, Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, does contain soy lecithin though.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

sleevegirl
on 5/30/11 10:53 am - Austin, TX
I used to like almond milk... but I'm allergic to almonds. LOL. The nut and fruit allergies are the last things we'll test because of the severity of them.

It's such a weird allergy thing - it's called Oral Allergy Syndrome and it basically started about 10 years ago... every year, there's a new fruit/nut/etc that I cannot eat. Last year it was all melons. This year it's raw carrots. Most people have never heard of it, and truly, it sounds like something someone would make up. LOL

michellemj
on 5/30/11 11:18 am
Well, some protein shakes are decent mixed with water. I've only tried the whey ones though so I can't offer specific recommendations. and sometimes the flavor is better if you mix them with less liquid (I mix my preferred shake with 4-6oz rather than 8-10oz that they recommend) so you can always try it that way too.

and always know that once you get out of the liquid stage post-op, it is possible to get your protein in without shakes. You'll have to make sure that you eat at least 15g at each meal/snack to get 60g/day, but lots of people do it!

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Elaine2
on 5/30/11 10:51 am, edited 5/30/11 10:56 am - Atlanta, GA
Because I'm sitting here doing nothing this PM, I found this stuff called Rainbow Lite...it says no soy and no lactose. Maybe you've already checked them out.
2 or 3 on this page  http://www.nextag.com/protein-shake-no-soy/compare-html

http://www.iherb.com/Rainbow-Light-Protein-Energizer-Vanilla -17-oz-482-g/1786?at=0

Sorry for your frustration. Got to be tough to find products that meet nutritional and allergy needs....Plus have a decent taste.

Good luck.

Most Active