Anyone else feel this way? (1 week out)

stephkd
on 6/6/11 11:34 pm - Columbus, OH
I'm feeling the normal restriction and difficulty in trying to get everything down, but I'm also having problems with feeling light-headed if I stand too long. Almost got woozy taking a shower the last couple of times, to the point where I had to lie down as soon as I got out.

As far as intake, I'm getting most -- if not all -- of my liquids/protein in. Called the NUT yesterday, and she said add more carbs, which I did. Felt okay yesterday afternoon, but  this morning was light-headed again.

My first follow-up with the surgeon is tomorrow, but thought I'd put this out there.

Thoughts?

Karen--SOOOO tired of living life on the sidelines!
HW = 308              PSW = 285  (Program Start Weight - what's on my ticker)
SW = 268              GW = 150 (highest end of normal BMI)

cattywompos
on 6/7/11 12:07 am
Good that you have a follow up tomorrow because it is good to mention this to them.  It seems to be very common for people early post op to experience some dizziness and light headedness because we really aren't getting in a whole lot of nutrients.  Keep drinking your water and try to get in some protein and take it easy.  If it gets really unbearable, call your doc's office.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

godknowsican
on 6/7/11 12:42 am - MD
 I felt this way often. I was diabetic before surgery taking 1 glucophage daily. Immediately after surgery no pills were needed. However it was discovered that my sugar was dropping too low around "53" sometimes due to all the liquids and no food. So if you have a glucose monitor check your blood sugars. They could be low. You may need to sip on apple juice in between everything else. It will pass once you start eating again.

Good luck!

Jenns Livin free
on 6/7/11 12:46 am
I'm two weeks out, and that feeling you describe has left me.  I felt like that often the first two weeks; it is because we aren't getting much.  Now that I can take in a little more, I feel better.  Oh, and I eat about every 3 hours.  Otherwise, I am right back to being light headed.  And to reduce that feeling in the am, eat a carb/protein snack about an hour before bed; it helps.
Jenn
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

SassyItalian
on 6/7/11 1:42 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
This exact thing happened to me post op in the shower~ the dizziness is low blood pressure, you feel better after laying down because it helps your pressure normalize..try getting up slowly~my low blood pressure was due partly to dehydration, make sure you are getting your fluids! The carbohydrates in drinking milk also helped..

Good luck and get your pressure checked!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

LynMac35
on 6/7/11 1:53 am
I experienced feeling very weak and woozy  - I had low blood sugar the first few weeks. My NUT told me to take 2 oz unsweetened apple juice and that totally helped me.

My first week home I had a chair in the shower to sit if I needed, because I felt so weak.

Hang in there it will get better. I started feel much better once I could eat food, now I don't have any problems with that at all.

HW 355/ Pre-Liquid Diet 324/DOS 311/Current 212/Goal 140
stephkd
on 6/7/11 2:08 am - Columbus, OH
Thanks all! Your comments really help!

Karen--SOOOO tired of living life on the sidelines!
HW = 308              PSW = 285  (Program Start Weight - what's on my ticker)
SW = 268              GW = 150 (highest end of normal BMI)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views