COFFEE?!?!

Readyforafreshstart
on 6/11/11 7:48 pm
Anyone out there start drinking coffee again after surg and STOP losing from it??? I can't seem to lose any more weight ever since.
~SHERILL

G
A
INING LIFE one day at a time!!!!!
lucy2e
on 6/11/11 9:14 pm - Laurel, MD
I'm not a coffee drinker - but are you doing high octane or caffeine free?  Remember that caffeine robs your body of fluids - so if you are drinking the high octane, you should drink that much more in fluids.  If you aren't that could explain the problem... (Just a thought).  Or you could just be at a normal stall...

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

katier825
on 6/11/11 9:44 pm
I was allowed to have my usual daily Dunkin Donuts coffee a week or so after surgery.  I've never noticed a problem from doing so.

What are you putting in it?  I suspect the coffee is not the culprit unless you are loading it with sugar.  Are you tracking your food/fluid intake?  Maybe you are having too many carbs?  How close are you to goal?  The weight loss can slow down quite a bit the closer you get. 
jimbovsg
on 6/11/11 11:51 pm
On June 12, 2011 at 4:44 AM Pacific Time, katier825 wrote:
I was allowed to have my usual daily Dunkin Donuts coffee a week or so after surgery.  I've never noticed a problem from doing so.

What are you putting in it?  I suspect the coffee is not the culprit unless you are loading it with sugar.  Are you tracking your food/fluid intake?  Maybe you are having too many carbs?  How close are you to goal?  The weight loss can slow down quite a bit the closer you get. 
I agree....plain coffee only has a few calories.....no carbs or fat.  I drink one everyday....have been since 6 weeks post-op....I add a protein shake to mine....don't think it has slowed my loss at all.  A bit of caffeine can be a good thing!    

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Caligirlgina
on 6/11/11 11:45 pm - CA
I am soooo glad you asked this question. I am preop and I drink high octane coffee every morning. Slowing getting off of it. I had stopped for a while and realized my weight came off easily. Now I am seeing myself stuck so to speak at a weight I can't believe..5 pounds higher. Doing nothing different then the coffee. Oh yeah stay away from Starbucks coffe......it has ALOT of calories. I am going to get decaf 100% today and put my protein in it and see what happens.

Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

2muchfluff
on 6/12/11 12:02 am
I have been drinking coffee daily since about 4 weeks out.  One cup, sometimes two.  I have been through some long stalls, but cannot tie them to coffee.  Upping the protein intake and fluids helped me to get started losing again.  Carbs seem to slow me, so I try to avoid them when possible.

Jasonm11
on 6/12/11 12:10 am
I can't live without my coffee....atleast 1 pot of decaf a day with a tiny bit of splenda and an ounce or two fo milk in each cup...decaf only after surgery....weight is coming off great.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
seaview
on 6/12/11 12:33 am
 I am at goal and have been drinking coffee since about four months out...I have BIG cup in AM with some low fat milk and splenda....I have tea during the day with milk and splenda as well....no problem. I do think that the dehydration factor is real...You need to drink a lot of water because dehydration will cause stalls....otherwise it's all in the food  and excercise...also as your BMI gets normal you lose slower....The reason they want you off coffee is that caffeine can cause appetite surges and you will eat more...and dehydrate more easily...caffeine can also cause you to eat less and then you are eating too little and your body will not lose as easily as it will hold on to fat stores...
so it's  a delicate balance....but it's really calories in calories out in the long run...long stalls are not unusual around 5 or so months on....SEAVIEW
chadhat
on 6/12/11 4:34 am - WA
My doc is fine with me drinking coffee.  In the beginning was 1 cup - now have I do have 2 in the morning.  Haven't had a DCoke since surgery - and used to drink those all the time.  Down 65+ lbs (from 236 - now 169)
TC
Kirkland WA
wert
on 6/12/11 4:45 am - MN
Pre surgery I was a serious coffee drinker. I was a registered Peet-nick. (Peet's Coffee) I drank it up to the day before surgery. Since surgery I've lost my taste for it. I just canceled my recurring orders this week. I can't believe it.

What I do drink every morning is Click with an extra packet of Starbucks Via added in. I warm it up a little bit. It does the trick for me.

As for not losing because of drinking coffee? Doubt it. But if you suspect coffee, stop drinking it for a couple of weeks and see what happens. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active