VSG & Exercise

keywest
on 7/2/11 4:56 pm
To lose a significant amount of weight with the sleeve, did anyone had to exercise excessively to be successful with weight lost?  How much time is everyone spending in the gym?  My cousin has the lap band and although she a lot of weight, she seemed to have exercised like a manic.  Is anyone not exercising and still losing weight?

Just curious.  Once I am sleeved in Sept., I want to get to a point of getting really toned.  I would love to have a nice back, arms and legs.  Not manly muscular but a well fit and toned body.
HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

May D.
on 7/2/11 6:15 pm
I can only respond from my own experience.  I have 145 lbs to lose, I've lost 43 already and i'm 4 months post op. I lose weight very slowly but I'm also hypothyroid, whether it has anything to do with my slow weight loss I don't know. 

I work out every other day with a combination of 30 minutes of cardio and 30 to 45 minutes of weights, I also take water aerobic classes twice a week.   It all depends on your age and how much elasticity you have on your skin.  You may not achieve the results you want but you may get to a point where you're happy.  I will never be a runway model, but my goal is to be healthy and thinner than I once was.

Lori B.
on 7/2/11 8:30 pm
I lose weight even if I don't exercise but I am committed and exercise several times a week for over a year. When I get to maintenance I want my muscles to be able to burn fat and help me in that phase.

I am getting great muscle definition and have never felt so healthy, even with other ailments I have. I can only imagine how a normal, healthy person feels. It's incredible. I do notice my weight loss slows on the weeks that I work out very hard but my body pulls in tons of water for repair and I expect it. But I don't go by the scale when that happens, I see the difference in my clothes.

At this point I don't feel right if I'm not exercising regularly and pushing for a new goal. I had a problem in march and had to do over a month of physical therapy and could not jog or work out. It just about killed me being inactive like that.

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
roundater
on 7/2/11 8:47 pm - Lincoln, NE
The exercise has definitely helped me in my journey. It has helped me lose faster plus it will be good for you during the time you are recouping (help keep your mind off of food). You could lose without it but it will probably be slower and you will really have to stick to your diet.. Hope this helps and let me know if I can help.
Rich Sonderegger

jengo1971
on 7/2/11 9:07 pm
Short answer, no.  Many have lost without doing any exercise during the losing phase.  Diet (as in what your intake is) plays a much more significant role.  However, there are multiple health benefits to working out which you're probably already aware of I'm sure.  Good luck!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
dec721
on 7/2/11 9:34 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I wasn't able to exercise much ... and still am not able ... because of physical difficulties, but I lost just fine.  We should exercise, of course, but it is the calorie deficit that causes the weight to come off.          --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Susan0714
on 7/2/11 9:50 pm - Kenner, LA
I am just shy of being 3 weeks out, I did execrise before the sleeve, and my doctor just approved me to go back to the gym.. So, I will go back, I have an ellpitical at home, that I use and I take my three dogs to the park and walk them there off leash.

So, if I am not in a gym I am walking at least a mile if not more with my dogs.

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Diahann
on 7/2/11 11:44 pm
I am two months out and wearing a 14 that's very loose on me, started at 227 now at 188 the scale dose not determine the losing for me its the way my clothing fits the reason is I work out six days a week and the way my inches has drooped is amazing. I DO NOT STICK TO MY DIET SO I KNOW THAT THE EXERCISE IS THE REASON I AM LOOKING SO DAM GOOD.

jmyersking
on 7/3/11 12:52 am - Davenport, IA
I am a month out and I swim (25-30 laps) three times a week and walk 5-6 miles a day.  But I was at the gym more before surgery.  I just have to wait a couple more weeks before I can start with abs and muscle training.

I have hit a couple stalls but my NUT said it is due to my increased activity and needing to increase my protein.  Basically I have become a milkaholic to get my protein in.
 HW: 260 SW: 245 CW:120.5  Surgery Date: 6/1/11
2 wks: -14.5
2 Months: -25  
3 Months -11
4 Months -14.5
5 Months -11.5
6 Months -5.5
7 Months -12
8 Months -8.5
9 Months -3
10 Months -5
11 Months 4.5
12 Months -4.5
13 Months -3.5
14 Months +1.0
15 MOnths -2.5
Kaysmommy
on 7/3/11 1:17 am - Silver City, NM
As my surgeon says, you will lose regardless in the first year after surgery. If you don't make any lifestyle changes during that time then you are set up to fail and start gaining the weight back. I am pre op, but have started trying to push myself on the elipitical. I even bought one for my house since I have a 2 year old who hates daycare and I know the need to exercise for my health is the most important.
Most Active