someone explain staples

megamommy
on 7/4/11 11:40 am
Can someone please tell me what happens with the staples? Does your stomach just heal over them? Please explain!

sleevegirl
on 7/4/11 11:42 am - Austin, TX
Yes. They are permanent staples, your stomach tissue will heal over them.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

USAF Wife
on 7/4/11 11:43 am
Yes, your stomach tissue scars and heals over the staples. They stay in forever. They will not go off with metal detectors, you can have CT scans, xrays, and MRIs. They are medical grade titanium, and once your stomach heals over them, they pose zero issues for you in the future.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

healthydee2b
on 7/4/11 2:21 pm
congrats on your baby!  my daughter had RNY 4 years ago and is now trying to get pregnant.  any experiences you want to share with this worried mom would be appreciated.  you can private message me if you like.  thanks.
diane S.
on 7/4/11 11:48 am
yep they stay forever and you heal over them so your healing holds you together. and the staples are really quite tiny - look like  a 1/8 inch sewing maching stitching in several parallell rows. they are nothing like big clunky office staples. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

megamommy
on 7/4/11 11:57 am
so dumb question but once your stomach heals over them do you still have the risk of leaks or getting things stuck???? and thanks Diane i thought they were big ones!!

USAF Wife
on 7/4/11 12:57 pm
No, once you are healed, you are healed just like any other amputated body part that heals over and scars.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/11 12:55 pm - NY
You can see exactly what they look like on Youtube.

Just search for "vertical sleeve gastrectomy" or "bariatric surgery".

PsychoWriter
on 7/4/11 1:10 pm - St Petersburg, FL
DEFINATELY CHECK OUT YOUTUBE.  DON'T HAVE THE LINK NOW BUT SENT MY MOM AND SISTER A LINK TO A LITTLE 5 MINUTE VIDEO WITH NARRATION THAT GOED THROUGH THE ENTIRE SURGERY AND SHOWS YOU WHAT WILL BE DONE.  KNIDA COOL TO WATCH.  I ALSO SUGGEST FINDING A VIDEO YOU LIKE AND SAVING THE LINK (LIKE I DIDN'T) SO THAT IF YOU HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY THAT ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN THE SURGERY YOU CAN FORWARD THEM THE LINK...AND KINDA GROSS A FEW OUT...LOL. :) 
rdd9348
on 7/4/11 1:56 pm, edited 7/4/11 2:06 pm - OR
Copy and paste this link to YouTube in your browser:  Tells you all about staples 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRWaAlaJF8
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
Most Active