Surgery Outside the U.S.

cristalpoppin
on 7/5/11 12:24 am - Austin, TX

Wondering if anybody has had gastric sleeve surgery outside of the U.S.? If so what was your experience?

I am uninsured and have not found anywhere (in Texas) that can beat $9000 for the surgery.

I feel like I have no other options ...

George B.
on 7/5/11 1:11 am - Miami, FL
I self paid for my sleeve in Miami because I didn't know about the options available in Mexico. Had I known I would have researched the doctors and had my surgery in Mexico without a second thought.

I tell my friends who cannot afford the US cost of surgery and who's insurance does not cover the VSG about the Mexico option for surgery. One did her research and had her surgery in Mexico and has done great. She had a positive experience and a year post-op is close to her weight loss goal. She's lost 190 pounds to date with her Mexican sleeve.

It sometimes take work to get the VSG but it's worth the effort.

Good luck,
George

luckiestparentoftwo
on 7/5/11 1:42 am - Canada
Dr. Joya, in Peurto Vallarta did my sleeve...I am actually still here i was sleeved on the first...I can tell you that 5 of my girlfriends have used him and i was skeptical at first...(just because you hear so much about mexico.) but i assure you the hospital is immaculate, dr.joya and his team are amazing....and you wont regret your decision on bit...after you are discharged from the hospital you get to spend 3 days on the beach recovering...if you bring a spouse with you mine only had to pay for his airfare which was 900.00(i am in canada)  if you want any info let me know...
take care

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 3:30 am - CA
Had my VSG in Mexico, too! I went to Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. Great experience and I'm going back for plastics there, too! I believe the VSG is around $8000--whi*****ludes everything for the surgery and hotel stay and rides to and from airport. (if you need it.) I live in San Diego, so it's quick to get down to T.J. Good Luck!
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 3:51 am
I had a great exp in MX for my surgery, from the Drs, to the hospital and nurses.. all good things to say. DH went with, and since it was a very quiet and safe town he wandered and walked to the mall and around the neighborhood without any issues at all. I can say that any questions I've had post-op were immediately responded to by the patient contact person, and I've never been better treated as an in-patient in a hospital. If/when I decide on plastics, I plan to go to MX again. Between plane fare for two, passcards, first mo vites and protein supplements, and the surgery fee - it was just under the $10,000 mark. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views