Heaviest of family

Spiritus
on 7/14/11 10:08 am - Hawthorne, CA

Well, my Dad loves to boast about what he weighs....he is 144 and so proud of it. He like going around the house telling everybody (severa times) about how is weight registered today and the doctors office as 144. I am a bit over 100 pounds heavier than him. Now, my direct family is not really tall or larger bones/heavier muscled....I have two sisters who are flight attendants (and one complains when she is over 128lbs) one sister who had a mini gastric bypass and lost 125 lbs (who is very weak and dizzy) and another sister who has a brick house kind of figure and really complains when her weight hits 140 buy promptly stops eating and kicks up exercise to lose it.

I loved weighing 150...I use to power bodybuild and had heavier muscle than my sisters. When I lost 35 lbs to get down to 150, one F/A sister was happy and curious about my weight..asking me how much I now weighed, I happily said "150"...the look on her face was sheer shock!!  OMG!!  How can I admit to her or anybody else that I know weight about 100 lbs more??? My mother is heavier than my sisters or dad but not hitting 200 like me.

So, am I losing weight so I won't be the heaviest/fattest of the family? So I won't be such a disappointment or shame of the family? Yes, to be honest there is a small part of all that into my reason for having surgery. I've finally admitted that I need PERMANENT help.....something that will cause me to be satisfied with smaller amount of food ...SATISFIED...isn't it terrible that I have become use to the "full" feeling...not stuffed, but full. I was hoping the lapband would have done that, but it didn't.  I hope I am not just putting all my eggs into this basket...I know how to diet and even like to exercise....I just need that one "key" to stopping this yo-yo.  I dont' know why I'm writing..I just need to get this off my chest....

My did likes to tease....but in this case (as in toher cases when he visits the doctor's ofc) he loves to gloat...how do I get over the gloat? I ignore but he keeps up until others "oooh and awww" the boast...and even then he digs further, at Least I feel he does...

lsereno
on 7/14/11 10:24 am - CA
Get healthy for yourself.

As for bragging and focusing on their weight, one of the reasons your family has stayed thinner is precisely because they are so focused on weight. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing. Look what happens when we don't! But it can sound so smarmy, especialy when we struggle with it so much!

I know what you mean about being the heaviest in the family. My family is pudgy, but I weighed more than anyone. I know it is bothering them as I become the "skinny"one. 

Be prepared for lots of comments as you prepare for surgery and beyond. Put your thick skin on - you'll need it! - and remember why you chose this option. Yes, partially so you won't be the fat one, but also your health and comfort long term.
roundater
on 7/14/11 11:28 am - Lincoln, NE
Sorry to hear of your struggle. Hopefully your family will be more supportive. Hugs and prayers to you.
Rich Sonderegger

MenagerieNik
on 7/14/11 1:18 pm
 Does your dad know that you are unhappy with your weight? Does he know that his bragging hurts you? If not, it might be time to tell him both things. Based on what you've written, food and weight play very big roles in your family and not in a healthy way. Everyone is obsessed with numbers and none of us is a number. 

Do the surgery for yourself; to make you happy with you. If you do it for anyone else you are going to wind up disappointed, heartbroken and full of regret, because no one is ever going to give you the validation you want. You are the only one who can do that.

Good luck!

HW: 285 SW: 267 GW: 130
Most Active