Holy DUMPING Batman!

Readyforafreshstart
on 7/31/11 9:58 am
OH MY GOSH!! Today we were out in the blazing heat and came upon a snowcone stand, so we stopped to get one. Now this seemed quite innocent enough, and since I have an iron clad sleeve that in 8 months has NEVER given me one problem, I didn't see it as a huge issue eating a small snow cone. HA! Let me tell you, I ate it and it was great, it took about 20 minutes from when I finished it, but I got all clammy and my heart was palpitating and I felt like I was gonna have to throw up for real. Won't be doing that again! Next time I want a snow cone I will find one that has sugar free! Haha I almost wish that would happen to me more frequently...maybe it would keep me a little more on my toes!
~SHERILL

G
A
INING LIFE one day at a time!!!!!
anewsweetjessa
on 7/31/11 10:14 am - IA
I didnt think we had dummping w the sleeve oh my now I am so confused and scared lol 1 week into my sleeve learning already its all new from here
phred
on 7/31/11 10:17 am - CO
Try googling "reactive hypoglycemia", it is far more likely that this is what caused your symptoms than dumping!

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

MrsClaus09
on 7/31/11 9:31 pm
On July 31, 2011 at 5:17 PM Pacific Time, phred wrote:
Try googling "reactive hypoglycemia", it is far more likely that this is what caused your symptoms than dumping!
Ditto! :)
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Poodles
on 7/31/11 10:22 am - TX
We don't dump like RNYers do with our tummies.   They skip the pyloris which causes the dumping syndrome.  Ours is fine.   More than likely sugar shock.

Bahama Bucks has some wonderful sugar free flavors!  You might check there!
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/31/11 10:43 am
I think true dumping lasts for a day or two.  But if it's shorter, like an hour or something, it's very likely reactive hypoglycemia.  I have experienced this twice now.  Eat something with a little sugar in it and then get shaky, sweaty and heart races.  Feels terrible!  I need to lie down almost immediately.  Lasts about 20-30 minutes and then I'm fine.

I have avoided sugar of almost any kind like the plague since.  It didn't take much for me to feel this icky either.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Valerie K.
on 7/31/11 10:47 am, edited 7/31/11 10:47 am - Dearborn, MI
 We sure do dump with the sleeve. I dump on high fat foods and found out with sugar now. But when I eat something with sugar I get so tired it puts me to sleep and my heart races to. I hate it so I do not eat it only did this 3 times to me till I found out it was the sugar because I believed sleeve people do not dump on sugar. my dumping makes me so tired even on the the next day all day or some times depends on how much sugar I ate it will last half a day but always goes on to the next day.

I am telling ya we do do do lol.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

shihtzulvr
on 7/31/11 10:52 am
The other day I put a peach in my vanilla protein shake, and blended it until it was smooth.  A couple hours later I got so sick, had dry heaves, sweating profusely and felt awful.  It lasted about an hour and then I was able to lay down for a while, I felt better when I woke up. I thought it seemed like "dumping" but I'm not sure. I just know I won't be putting a fresh peach in anything else for a long time.
Valerie K.
on 7/31/11 11:00 am - Dearborn, MI
 I am not sure eather. it could be reactive hypoglycemia. In reading this it sounds like me. I get so tired and need to lay down even eating fruit does this to me. and if you think about it we do not eat much so I am thinking sugar makes us crash to fast. I am asking my doc tomorrow. I hate this feeling and need to find out what it really is.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 11:17 am
I don't know what it's called but before I had my sleeve if I drank something really sweet (like extra sweet tea) on an empty stomach it would make me nauseated and sweaty. So I guess it's something to do with reacting to sugar when you don't have anything else in your stomach. Be careful.
Most Active