Need Motivation

Cathy2402
on 8/3/11 10:54 pm

Well I was sleeved last Friday and did not take any extra pain meds, I had a pain pump.  I started feeling down each morning since Monday that I made a bad decisiion.  I haven't been able to get my water in only about 16 ounces, plus a few sugerfree popsicles.  The protein shakes give me diarrhea (I know too much information), so I am lacking on my protein.  Did anyone else feel like they made the wrong choice.  I know this is in my head but I am worried about not getting my nutrients in. 

I need advice please and motivation that I did the right thing.

I did not do this to get skinny, I just want to be healthy and here for my family for a long time.

HW: 338 SW: 324 GW: 180-160

Lisa J.
on 8/3/11 11:08 pm - OK
SNAP OUT OF IT! Right? ;-)

Lost of people go through this feeling after surgery--you're not alone. It's my opinion that between the mental anguish of going through all the steps, the fear, the doubt, excitement, some pain (wasn't anything but just uncomfortable for me -- no pain meds) and the expectation....who DOESN'T have a little bit of a meltdown?

The one thing you have to remember right now is that you ONLY have to get the water in. As much as you can. Screw the protein. Coincidentally it's the surgery that gave you the diarrhea, not the shakes, whatever that's worth. Everybody gets that for a day or two. Mucousy poo. I know, TMI. But it's the truth. Your period might even come back for a day or to--again because of the surgery.

Don't kid yourself that you want to be anything BUT fat, you WANT to be skinny and there is nothing wrong with that. But hand in hand with that, IS a fabulous new healthy lifestyle that you're probably thinking is too much work, or it won't work for you, or it was just safer being fat and knowing that lifestyle than challenging the unknown. I know! 

JUST KEEP SIPPING WATER. In a few days you'll already be down several pounds, you'll feel better, things will hurt less, you will in no time start having such fun when your clothes no longer fit and you can move better, you get more energy, start doing things that you never dreamed possible......

SIP SIP SIP. WALK WALK WALK. That's all you have to concentrate on til you're ready to tackle some protein. Your biggest concern right now is avoiding dehydration, and that is no joke. You can totally do without protein for several days (and your body has already started burning your stored fat for energy) and you probably won't be hungry for a good period of time. EMBRACE that.
In 30 days you won't even remember feeling this way! I'm serious! You'll think it's too easy and how can it possibly work??? IT WORKS! But you have to work your sleeve too. You didn't gain whatever weight you have overnight, and this won't come off overnight, but I can guarantee you that you'll see the fastest possible transformation EVER and THAT will keep you motivated.

If you can attend some WLS support groups from your hospital DO IT, do it every time there is one. It's incredibly motivating and interesting to see the people, hear the stories, the things they have learned along the way. Welcome into a new family!

You've come this far, don't stop now! You've got a new life ahead of you! Strap yourself in, this will be a hell of a ride ;-)

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
candyturbo
on 8/3/11 11:22 pm
Great advice!!
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
candyturbo
on 8/3/11 11:20 pm

Hang in there, it gets much much better, I promise. I am four weeks out now and I can say that in my first week I had some regrets. Especially the first few days - I wondered what in the he** I had done. I was hurting and nauseous and I thought "hmmm, I had some success with the Atkins diet, maybe I should have tried harder. This seems SO drastic." But now at four weeks out I can report that I feel absolutely normal. Well, better than normal because I am losing weight. The pants I have on now keep slipping down on my waste and I am stepping on the hem. It would make me mad except that it is so darned exciting. I now know that this was absolutely the best and right thing for me to do. I did it for the same reasons as you. I don't care so much about skinny as I do about my health. My blood pressure is already lower based on yesterday's post op visit!!

I know the nutrients thing is hard. I am still not getting in what is recommended, but I am surviving and doing better daily. It got much easier in week two. As long as you stay in touch with your doctor and let them know what is happening, then my personal, not professional opinion in any way, is that for a short period of time (less than a week) you are not going to suffer because you can't get all your protein and/or nutrients. It is a process and you won't be able to do it all on day 1. With time and persistence you will be able to get in the protein and other nutrients you need. Just keep the water or whatever you are drinking close at hand. Take baby sips every minute or two. I know it is annoying but small sips constantly will help you get in what you need. Be careful not to take large mouthfuls at once because that can feel bad and make you drink less. It also fills you up more than small, constant sips. As long you you keep your doctor informed about the food intake then they will help you to be sure you are not in a place where it becomes serious.

Try to just get through the next week or so, doing the best you can and keep your eye on the prize - the future healthy you. It will come and I can't wait to hear how your opinion has changed when you get over this hump. You can do it!!!

HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
debk21
on 8/3/11 11:22 pm - Mansfield, TX
Ditto on Lisa J's post...you are gonna be fine.  Increase tha****er hon!  It's the best thing you can do for yourself right now...try different temperatures.  You may be able to tolerate warm better than cold or vice versa.  The diarrhea is normal...do not trust a fart!  Butt (LOL), that too shall pass...  You'll be sittin' pretty soon, feeling better and more normal, and these feelings of doubt will go away as you melt away the pounds.  Keep your chin up and keep smiling!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

SeeMonaShrink
on 8/3/11 11:31 pm - Springfield, OR
Lisa that was an awesome post.  Thank you for all that great info. 

Cathy2402
on 8/3/11 11:42 pm
Thank you everyone and yes Lisa that was a wonderful post! I just needed to hear from others that have been there too!
Asecondchanceatlife
on 8/4/11 12:07 am
I was sleeved Monday everything Lisa is saying is the truth. I woke up this morning better than yesterday It made me smile and have hope.
Asecondchanceatlife
on 8/4/11 12:17 am
This is what my Nut told "ME". 

> I am so glad that you are coming to me with questions. I am happy to help! First of all, you do not HAVE to keep up with Isopure and Nectar the first week. Those are options if you want to ensure you get enough protein in. However, you can do just clear broths, sugar free jello, teas, G2, etc. Since you are healing that week, you will find that your appetite is pretty low. If you find yourself getting hungry, however, I would recommend getting some type of clear protein drink as well. If you do not purchase any clear protein that is fine, but please do start on the full liquid protein that next week. Unjury is a GREAT product so that will work great. And yes, the chicken flavor mixed with warm water can definitely be used during week 1. 
Most Active