vomit after surgery

Spiritus
on 8/12/11 3:20 am - Hawthorne, CA

Morning All!  I had my sleeve operation on August 10th.  I was sent home with quite a few tablets to start taking immediately.  I crush my pepcid and take it with a bit of water. My liquid lortab is pretty easy to get down, if I take it in sips.  How many of you started to take your meds almost immediately after surgery? Did you vomit ? How does it feel to barf with the sleeve? I had a lapband for 3.5 years and barfing was pretty easy, not violent, no wretching, and quick.  What is vomiting life after VSG? 

I am afraid to take the tablets (actigall, pepcid, zofran under tongue) becaues I am fearful that I will mess up m sleeve and cause a leak.  Anyway, I'm nervous and need some advice please.

~Vickie

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 3:29 am, edited 8/12/11 3:29 am
I was advised to wait two weeks before starting my Actigall and vitamins (even the liquid vites) as they can cause nausea.. it's not a leak issue, if you have a leak- it's from the surgery- not a pill. 

Zofran - take it if you need it for the nausea! I was on dissolvable Nexium from the get-go, so no waiting on that one. Other than that- at two weeks I was taking myliquid vites and Actigall (swallowed, not crushed) with no issues. I switched to pill vites when I ran out at about 6 wks.

As far as puking, I've only done it once- from taking a Centrum on an empty stomach about 6 weeks out or so if I recall.. Since there was nothing in my stomach- I dry heaved a little, spit, then felt better. Thankfully no other episodes happened and I waited another month before trying the Centrum again, and only take it on a full sleeve of protein- after dinner or lunch. No issues now.

Edited for clarification!
Faye56
on 8/12/11 3:29 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
The only thing that made me sick (vomit) was the B12 under the tongue. I got so sick. It was not violent I guess because there was not much to throw up. It hurt just a little.... but I do not want to do it again. That was in my second week. Now I have a script for the B12 nose spray once a week. I can take the pills ok. The biggest is maybe a little bigger than a pencil eraser. Good luck on your journey!

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

chunkymonkey1991
on 8/12/11 4:06 am
i've thrown up twice now with my chewable multivitamin. i need to eat  with it to take it. since i'm still on liquids that means have applesauce with it.
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

emelar
on 8/12/11 4:29 am - TX
I started taking pills (pepsid, aspirin) immediately after surgery.  Never had a problem with any of them.

Vomiting?  I'm 9 months out.  Hasn't happened yet.
betti
on 8/12/11 4:41 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
I am 3 weeks out and I have vomited a fair amount, but I've always been a puker.  It wasn't every from medicine, more just foods I cannot tolerate.  Puking while I was still in the hospital was painful, but I puked the other day several times, and it felt normal.  No problems.  Good l uck.
DrHollywood
on 8/12/11 6:34 am, edited 8/12/11 6:34 am - Harbor City, CA
Hi Sweetie,
Oh No your having a hard time. Call Your DR. Have you?

I took pepcid, vitamins ( liquid) right away. I crushed the pepcid and mixed it
with water. It was just what I had to do.  I took vitamins early and it was ok with DOC.
I didnt take any pills at all.  pepcid was the only one and I crushed it.

Sorry hun I never vomitted.  So I have no clue what it feels like.  Did you take to much
meds at once?  what happened?  Also if you dont drink enough you could get foamies.

Are you ok?

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Susan0714
on 8/12/11 11:39 am - Kenner, LA
I was taking my vitamins and anti nausea medicane when I got home for the hospital. 

I only took the anti nausea medication one day and that was it for me.  I threw up two times in the hospital.

To me it is easier to vomit with the sleeve then when I just had a normal tummy. Of course you don't throw up as much. I threw up one time about 3 weeks ago, after eating some food that my tummy did not like.

It was not a lot of food of course, and I have not thrown up anything since.  I hate eating something and then finding out a few minutes later that your tummy does not like that. When I eat chicken some times it is fine no problem, and other times, it sits in my tummy like I have rocks in there.

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Most Active