Know thine (sleeve) enemy... mine is popcorn!

LittleMissSunshine
on 8/21/11 1:39 pm
Well, it was bound to happen.  I've been on regular foods (officially) for a week and had been having a pretty easy time of it.  Until last night, there was nothing I couldn't eat. 

I'd heard some people had a hard time with watermelon, so I gave that (and cantaloupe and honeydew) a shot... no issues at all.  The other thing I'd heard give people trouble was popcorn.  I tried that too, though it was the Seattle Popcorn Company's caramel corn, which I didn't think made any difference... popcorn is popcorn, right?

Apparently not so.  Last night my husband made some microwave popcorn and I had a small bowl of it... NEVER AGAIN!!!  OMG, I haven't felt pain and discomfort like that since I had gallstones (I know that's not it, my gall bladder came out back in '06).... that sucked!

Drinking some water seemed to help temporarily, but just when I'd feel better, it would start up again... burning sensation in the back of my chest, sweats... ick!  I battled through 3 episodes of it before finally falling asleep.  Thank god that's overwith!  I don't think I'll be trying that again anytime soon!

So, let this be a warning to those of you who still have new foods to try... all popcorn is not created equal!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

acbbrown
on 8/21/11 1:44 pm - Granada Hills, CA
IM glad i havent tried it yet. I will definitely be waiting a long while.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Bonnie2011
on 8/21/11 1:50 pm
Oh you don't know how sad your post has made me feel!  I SOOOOOO love my popcorn, usually have it at least every 2 weeks sometimes more, Or should say I used to!  I haven't had Anything good it seems like forever but has been 5 weeks of just shakes.  This Thursday I get to start blended things that aren't shakes so may be a bit better, however I dream of popcorn.  I almost don't like going to the movies now, I see it there and think, sigh, when can I have it???  Yikes I will wait quite awhile now though having read your post.  Hope you are better now!
USAF Wife
on 8/21/11 2:08 pm
I hate how my foods have changed. I didn't eat popcorn forever, but when I did, I had zero issues.

I'm not sure if I can say it's my sleeve, or the pregnancy, but cereal is now on my "no no" list. I had seriously 1/2 cup of Honey Bunches of Oats with a "sprinkling" of milk, strained all the milk off, and it hit me like a tons of bricks. I had to lay down, and felt horrific. I'm leaning toward more of a "pregnancy" issue, but lord only knows at this point. I've cereal in the past without issue, and I really wanted cereal this morning, but it was a bust.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

shekicks
on 8/21/11 10:33 pm - Dallas, GA
 I love my popcorn and still enjoy it!  I am almost 11 months out from surgery, but have been eating it for several months now with no problem.  Maybe it was the sweetness of the caramel that caused the problem.  Wait a while give it another shot.

Beverly

5' 0"              HW-207 / SW-194 / CW-132/ GW-125             57 years old!

LittleMissSunshine
on 8/22/11 2:44 am
Actually, the caramel corn went down without a problem when I tried it like 2 weeks ago... that's why I thought I'd be fine with the microwave stuff, but apparently not.  Maybe the sugaryness of it coated the rough edges of the kernels or something, so when that was gone, it was too dry to sail on through?

I dunno, but I'll definitely be waiting a few months before trying it again and even then it'll be maybe a handful at the most.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

justeric78
on 8/22/11 1:09 am - Houston, TX
I almost wish I couldnt eat popcorn. I have the opposite problem it is a slider for me so I can eat it by the fistful and never get full. I have had as much as two cups before at which time my stomach starts to only then feel like ..oh hey maybe I should stop shoveling this in.

Erica77
on 8/22/11 1:21 am - MN
I tried it yesterday @ the zoo, and it went down too good. I had about 1/4 cup and felt restriction. Then had tried about another 1/4c and by then the stuff was stale and cold so I threw it out.
I would think the sugar on the popcorn hurt you more then the popcorn itself.
HW- 398  SW- 371 CW- 224 GW- 175      5'11     27lbs lost preop

George B.
on 8/22/11 1:28 am - Miami, FL
Popcorn once tried to kill me in the theater 3 months post-op.
I swore off popcorn but tried it again at a year post-op and did ok. 

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/22/11 5:34 am
I used to think my reactions like this (only had it 3 times) were due to the type of foods I ate... but looking back, I now know it was due to eating too fast. Wonder if that's what happened to you here??
Most Active