Seriously?? Wake up!

Readyforafreshstart
on 8/27/11 1:54 am
WOW...Maybe I'm PMS-ing...but I'm just getting SO annoyed by those who come on here whining about their lack of weight loss when they're NOT doing the work to get it! SERIOUSLY....It's a TOOL....which the definition of is "something that you use in order to perform a job or achieve a goal". It does NOT do it for us! I'm 9.5 months out and am down 65 glorious pounds...and I couldn't be happier! I have a ways to go and I know how to get there, but if I choose to not utilize my tool in the most effective way, then I will likely not lose that remaining weight very fast. Sorry for the rant...hopefully I've not offended anyone, but truthfully if I have, it's likely that you are the one that needed to be.
~SHERILL

G
A
INING LIFE one day at a time!!!!!
candyturbo
on 8/27/11 2:41 am
 I agree -- if they are not using the tool correctily then it is their own fault if it is not effective. 

However, I am one that has been doing everything right and have been going up and down the same two pounds for four weeks. That can be extremely frustrating and introduces all kinds of doubt, anxiety and second guesses about whether or not you did the right thing. When there is no obvious explanation why the scale isn't moving, it can be a real demotivator.
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
wert
on 8/27/11 2:53 am - MN
But you have gone back a few pages and see that it happens frequently, right? So you're still motivated, right? This has been explained many times so it can't be a surprise.  

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

candyturbo
on 8/27/11 2:59 am
 Surprise or not, it can still hurt and be demotivating. I have read dozens of accounts of stalls, but my emotional reaction to day after day of the same is very very hard to control. I didn't give up, but I wasn't excited about it either.
Mom4Jazz
on 8/27/11 5:02 am
The first stall can be tough, especially for those of us who have failed many times before and have a fear of failure. But when it passes, later stalls can feel easier. I'm in my 3rd stall, and it's not fazing me this time. Mildly annoying, yes. But not upset and fearful like I was.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

laurak712
on 8/27/11 5:36 am - New Braunfels, TX
Do not despair darlin'.  I spent most of my "losing phase" in a stall, LOL.  I know it sucks but that's how it is for some of us.  Just keep plugging away and if your doing everything right you will win!

Laura

Height 5' 7

Jan G.
on 8/27/11 2:44 am - WI
Well I can certainly understand where you are coming from. From MY perspective I think some of us just do not know HOW its supposed to work.

I did my homework, went to education/support groups monthly, READ a lot, and came here. I had to wait an unexpected 9 months before I could get sleeved. I am just glad to survive the surgery and first 3 weeks. I do not have big expectations..but not sure others get such thorough preparation.

A good kick in the butt of reality..never hurts LOL

Thanks my new OH friend, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

wert
on 8/27/11 2:51 am - MN
This has been a common theme here for a little while. People are not doing their homework. I've suggested using the search feature or going to Google to find answers and have gotten blasted for it. All people have to do is go back a page or two and actually look at and read previous posts. I don't think that's asking too much. The information is here. Yes, we have questions. Something new always crops up. But there are some basics that have been asked and answered ad infinitum. READ. Now, just wait for the complaints to start coming in regarding what we've just said.  

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

candyturbo
on 8/27/11 3:17 am
 No, I DO agree that using the tool appropriately, being educated, reading past posts is something we all should do. But I also don't mind listening when people are frustrated and their first reaction is just to post. We all feel like our situation is unique and the extreme emotional attachment we have to our weight loss and all we have been through means we react and we want to know that OUR particular situation is like that of others. Sometimes people need the direct reassurance to their post and the details of their situation and I don't fault them for that. I may advise them to do a search so they get more and more reinforcement about others experiencing the same, but I definitely understand the emotional reaction that goes along with a non-moving scale.

Personally, I think that is what the boards are for - our opportunity to vent about our specific situations (and that includes offering up frustration as you have done) even if we already know the answers and the common occurrence of the problem. But that's just me. I think just writing about our situations and getting a response is cathartic. That kind of support is what I think the forum is about.,Most of us can get the facts from our doctors or articles, but we cannot get empathy there. It is the camaraderie, the direct response to your individually stated concern, that really makes you feel better and gets you through the next bump in the road. So I will keep reading the repetitive posts and offering encouragement, but the good news is we can all choose what we read and respond to!  
mawmawpenny
on 8/27/11 4:14 am - LA

candyturbo, I totally agree with your post.

Penny

Most Active