two week update! & one question (don't worry its not about stalls lol)

cristalpoppin
on 8/27/11 10:41 am - Austin, TX
 So yesterday was my 2 week marker ... haven't been on the board as much since school has started this week, but thought I would give a quick update.

No more weightloss for me this week - but that was expected as I lost 20 lbs. the first week. Although my clothes are starting to fall off when I walk, so it seems it may be time to pull out my pre-preg boxes!

Just started phase 2 eating plan yesterday (pureed, soft cheese, beans, eggs, etc)., still supplementing with protein shakes (starting to get tired of those -__-). Still have not tried meats thus far, but am doing fine with the lactose, which I am grateful for. I can't wait to eat fish!!! :)

Only question I have - my nut says I should be eating about 3-4 oz each meal, 6 times/day.....ummm WHAT?!? I can eat about 1.5 oz of yogurt OR 1 slice of chz OR 1.5 oz of beans. After I eat I feel so full I have to lie down for about 30 minutes. I do this 3 times a day max. My question: If she serious??? WTF??

Hows everyone else doing?

Starting weight: 350 Weight at surgery (8/12/11): 320 Long-term goal: lose 200 lbs!

roundater
on 8/27/11 10:58 am - Lincoln, NE
3-4 oz three times a day is what I go for. I remember eating less when I was two weeks out. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

SassyItalian
on 8/27/11 11:00 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
those should be GUIDELINES, not Bible.

some people can eat that much, most cant for several months to a year. Again those are just suggestions. 3-4 ounces of food is a large amount for this far out. I wouldnt keep doing that.

The tip from successful sleevers is to undereat your sleeve. dont eat so much that you feel super full the way you are saying you do now. Not only are you putting stress on a  fresh staple line but forcing that much food isnt necessary. Keep your sleeve as small as you can for as long as you can.

I could only eat 1-2 tablespoons of anythng for several months and I didnt try for more. Take advantage of the initial honeymoon period but just eating enough to feel slightly full.
dont pu****!!

Frisco, please chime in darling!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

cristalpoppin
on 8/27/11 1:31 pm - Austin, TX
Yup can't imagine eating more than an oz, one and a half pushes it.
Lynn5707
on 8/27/11 11:15 am - IN
Hi,

I am about 7 1/2 weeks out and can eat 2 to 4 oz at a time. My NUT says no snacks only 3 meals per day. Just eat the amount you can at this point. Like others have said you will only be able to tolerate a very, very small amount at this time.

Take care - make sure you get your fluids in though!

Lynn

Smardeepants
on 8/27/11 12:07 pm
I'll be 9wks out on monday.

My surgeon says 2oz 4X a day (but also says protein drinks, and have something every 2-3hrs... not totally clear there, LOL).

Anyway, my first meal was 1-2Tablespoons. I couldn't fit more for about 6 weeks. Now I'm up to 1.5-2ounces... but I'm 'content' at 1, and try to stop there. I often go over a little, but 2 ounces would leave me STUFFED!

I agree with others, DON'T eat until you're so full you need to lie down. Stop when you start feeling content  (before getting too full) and take advantage of this time. Your surgeon's guidelines are probably maximums intended to follow people for several months.

cristalpoppin
on 8/27/11 1:33 pm - Austin, TX
Thank y'all - good to know I'm not the only one with such restriction! I knew she was wrong about that whole 3-4 oz thing, I just needed reassurance! Thanks again!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 2:54 pm
I couldn't that much until at least six months out.  In the beginning, I was told to eat up to a 1/4 of a cup or about 1-2 oz.  I was also told to eat three times a day.
Carly ~
on 8/27/11 7:04 pm, edited 8/27/11 7:05 pm
 3 to 4 oz is the perfect amount of protein.... when you're a year out.. lol

I get in about 1.5 to 2 oz depending on how dense the meat is -- and I'm 9 weeks out today.

Sometimes even with the 2 oz, I have to go back to my meal after a bit to finish the protein : )
Some people who have had surgery were worried that I was grazing and starting bad habits.  My surgical team said that if I have to split my protein amounts up in and eat them over a longer period of time, that's not grazing -- it's getting in the required amount of protein somehow, someway, and perfectly okay.  

I can eat slightly more fish than anything else.  Chicken/lean deli meat would be the next best as far as meat goes.   Steak, roast beef, or pork chops or heavier meats are such smaller portions.

At 9 weeks out, I'm just able to eat about 1.5 oz of cheese in a sitting.  A small piece of cheese and a yogurt is like a meal for me.  

It's okay -- because our stomachs are still healing, still inflamed.  We'll be able to eat 3 meals a day with 3 to 4 oz of protein when we're a year out.. : )
Until then.. I'm definitely a picker/grazer.

My team also said.. that they worried I was losing weight too quickly.  I explained the full feeling I get with such little amounts of food.  They told me that it was most likely the inflamation causing me to feel the food as it passed through my stomach and that would subside.  When I feel that, I feel like I'm full -- especially with denser proteins, and I stop.  They think there's still more space left in there based on what I'm consuming that they want me to try a bit more from time to time.

wls2011
on 8/28/11 3:18 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Yeah, ditto to what everyone said....at 2 weeks, I was still focusing on not getting dehydrated...and was lucky to get in 2oz of fluids at a time...I can't imagine having tried solids at that point...ugh! No way...

I'm over 3 months now, and can just eat about 1-2 ounces of solid protein like chicken or turkey. If it is yogurt or mushy food, I can do 4-5 ounces usually...

I also still struggle to get in 3-4 meals, so eating food 6 times a day would not happen...Like another poster said, I typically would split some of my protein meals, into mini-meals or snacks, just to get nourished. I usually eat 4-5x daily, but some times it is more like a couple of bites, than an actual meal....

Don't worry about it....it is better to undereat than overeat at this point in your healing, and if you are already feeling overfull, then eat less at a sitting, and slower, if possible.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active