Tell me how you went about your overnight hospital sleep study?

obxhatteraslight
on 9/12/11 7:38 am - baldwinsville, NY
I have to stay overnight at the sleep center next week. I failed the oximetry test at home and have to do the sleep test at the hospital. I am a night nurse and do not sleep well at night because I work some overnights. I imagine that I will be sitting up awake most of the night. If I have to sit up awake to pass the test then so be it...(WINK)

I have to pass this test!! Otherwise I have to deal with a Bi-Pap/C-Pap machine for 2 months before surgery. I have met my deductible for this year and can not go through the deductible process again!! So I need my sleeve done before 12/31!!

Any tips welcomed. TIA
Grumpy_old_man
on 9/12/11 7:48 am
Sitting up all night will not pass the test. Your brain waves as well as other items are monitored. Just try to sleep and take it easy.
obxhatteraslight
on 9/12/11 8:03 am - baldwinsville, NY
I am a bad nurse!! I realize that I have to sleep and hope that I do sleep:):). Just trying to put a little sarcasm into my last hurdle. I am so worried about this test. I appreciate any imput.
sunnymicki
on 9/12/11 8:06 am
Well as a nurse, I'm sure you know how dangerous, even deadly, untreated sleep apnea can be.  So taking care of that has to be a priority.

I would just make sure not to sleep during the day before your test so that you are able to fall asleep during the study.  If you don't sleep enough, they'll make you do it again.

It is uncomfortable to be hooked up to everything.  I wore comfy pajamas, and did about 20 minutes of reading (which is my normal nighttime routine), and then turned on my side and fell asleep.  I was really glad they let me curl up on my side.  And it was very dark in the room, so that helped too.

Twice the tech came in to re-adjust the sensors near my jawline because she wasn't picking up my snoring, and then came in another time to fix something else.  Other than that, I would have stayed asleep just fine.

You'll be fine!
obxhatteraslight
on 9/12/11 8:21 am - baldwinsville, NY
did you do ok and end up passing?

I was advised to stop taking my xanax for a few weeks before test and take nail polish off of one nail....

I have my fingers crossed:)
sunnymicki
on 9/12/11 8:33 am
I did pass, thankfully! 

They'll tape an oxygen sensor to the finger without the nail polish.

I take care of post-op patients (I'm an RN too), and one real problem we have is with patients who have undiagnosed sleep apnea (or who fall asleep without their CPAP mask on) and end up coming very close to coding after surgery.  Very scary stuff.

Even if you don't pass, there are positives - one is that you'll sleep much better, feel more rested and be healthier.  And two is that you will do better after surgery because your oxygen levels will be better at night.
obxhatteraslight
on 9/12/11 8:39 am - baldwinsville, NY
thanks so much.

I am just gonna think positive and pray to pass:)
k9ophile
on 9/12/11 8:38 am
Although it is less than ideal, some sleep studies do allow for sleep aids.  I've had 4* and took Ambien for one of them.  Might also think about Melatonin if you're not too keen on Rx sleep aids.

1st diagnositic only
2nd titration
3rd titration
4th screening for resolution

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Grumpy_old_man
on 9/12/11 9:00 am, edited 9/12/11 9:02 am
BTW having sleep apnea does not automatically mean having a CPAP. I had mine done last year and they logged two incidents. According to my pulminologist anything below 6 (if my memory serves) is considered normal. So i was diagnosed with mild apnea and I was told losing weight will correct that.

Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
  Sun Tzu   
obxhatteraslight
on 9/12/11 9:05 am - baldwinsville, NY
do you mean below 6 incidents of desaturation......tia
Most Active