Pepcid Question

keywest
on 10/22/11 4:01 pm

Are any of you new sleevers swallowing the pepcid pill whole?  I'm under the impression all meds should be crushed, chewable or liquid.  I cant find chewable pepcid anywhere.  I am afraid to swallow it.  The direction on the back of the box and the pharmacist said pepcid can not be crushed because it will not dissolve in the stomach.  So what is the alternative?

I have a lot of chest pressure.  I have the constant feeling or need to burp but I can't.  Can you drink a small amount of diluted/flat ginger ale?  When the pressure continues to build, I get the foamies and have to vomit.  What is that about?  What can I do?

HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

krystals
on 10/22/11 4:09 pm - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
Hi my surgeon gave me a prescription for a chewable pepcid. You should always crush pills. I was told  that whole pills can disturb the staple line.

keywest
on 10/22/11 4:15 pm
Thank you.  I will have to call the doctor to ask about chewables.
HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

krystals
on 10/22/11 4:35 pm, edited 10/22/11 4:35 pm - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
I got my medicine bottle so I can tell you exactly what it is so you can tell the doctor: Prevacid 30 mg solutab there is also a generic brand called Lansoprazole ODT 30 mg tablet.

Robbin B.
on 10/23/11 12:40 am - Bergenfield, NJ
I couldn't take the Nexium my doctor prescribed because it would interact with another medication I am taking, so I have ended up taking Pepcid Complete once a day, which is over the counter and chewable.  I had my surgery on 10/4, and have also been feeling the chest pressure all along.  It was bad in the hospital and they gave me simethicone, which is Gas-X or Mylanta Gas, OTC and chewable, and I am taking this as needed at home and it helps a lot.  I wouldn't drink anything carbonated without checking with your doctor first, as it might make you feel worse.  Hang in there - each day after surgery gets a little better!!! 
slimpickins5280
on 10/23/11 1:30 am - CO
I've taken everything by pill (Thyroid med, Cholesterol med, Zyrtec, Pepcid), per my surgeon, while I was in the hospital and since I left the hospital. My Vicodin prescription was even pill form. I was given Vicodin in the pill form when they took away my happy Dilaudid button.

I've heard everything should be chewable, but my doc doesn't seem to subscribe to that.

I haven't had a problem with anything I take.

I do have chewable vitamins, but I haven't started them yet - probably could just haven't.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

precious_diamond38
on 10/23/11 1:38 am - VA
My first or second day home from the hosp i took Prilosec in pill form over the counter and did not have a problem all of my meds are pill form no problem...
kellibear
on 10/23/11 4:30 am - TX
in texas walmart has chewable in equate even..
emelar
on 10/23/11 4:38 am - TX
 I swallowed regular Pepcid AC immediately after surgery as directed by my doc.  Never had a problem and it really does help.
jovi_34
on 10/23/11 5:24 am - TX
VSG on 10/11/11 with
My Dr. prescribed pepcid also & I take it whole. I was told as long as the pill isn't bigger than a pencil eraser. I haven't had any problems with it. Call the pharmacist also for suggestions!

Check me out at : www.jovanyneal.scentsy.us  for all your Scentsy needs     

HW:256  CW: 243  SW:231   GW: 135

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views