I'm slowing down

Rouxful
on 10/30/11 3:58 am, edited 10/30/11 3:58 am
 I'm 4 and a half months out and feel like I'm slowing down. So while my weightloss has been nothing short of transformative, I'm starting to get worried that I'm really slowing down. I've been keeping track of my weight on OH's Health Tracker, and I've gone from an average of 4lbs lost per week (at about a month post-op) to about 2lbs lost per week now. I've started hitting the gym and try to do about an hour of cardio every time I'm there, and burn 300 calories each time. My goal is twice a week for now, since I'm completely new to exercise. 

As for foods I'm eating, I'm still trying to keep my carbs down and my fiber up, but I have more of an appetite these days. Am I eating too much? I'm trying to stay under 1000 calories a day (and remember, I'm a 6'2" guy). Should I just go back to the shakes like when I was pre-op?

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

Mom4Jazz
on 10/30/11 4:37 am
Slowing down is normal - you are lighter in relation to your goal weight than you were.

1000 calories probably is OK at your height - the classic program is 600-800, but that works for pretty small folks. I'm not an expert but it doesn't sound outrageous. Make sure you're keeping your carbs very tight, your protein up (well over 80 grams if you're eating 1000 calories - I manage almost 100 grams on 800 calories a day) and your fluids up (at least 64 oz of clears).

You can't stay at 4 lbs per week forever. Some of us are doing great and NEVER averaged that.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

atomic_bettie
on 10/30/11 4:43 am - OK
I can't preach much because I'm terrible at my exercise, so I can't offer much advice there.  Are you tracking your food, getting in all your liquids, are you snacking between meals?  As for the shakes, are you wanting to do a liquid diet all over again, or substitute a shake for a meal?  I would discourage an all liquid diet because that is the reason we had the surgery so we wouldn't have to starve ourselves....just my opinion.  Either way, I would still say 2lbs is still a good number...people generally aren't going to lose big numbers the entire time.  I was losing about 7 lbs for the first couple of weeks, now I'm to about 4 pounds a week at the moment.  Can you possibly fit in at least one more day of the gym?  Also remember if you are doing an hour at a gym, you are building muscle which is going to affect your weight loss.  Ask your wellness staff, but I was told to get 30 minutes of cardio four days a week.  Good luck to you!
Visit my WLS blog:  themisfitscarlett.blogspot.com                                    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views