3 Day Post Op And Not Eating Enough

bathoria
on 11/26/11 12:36 pm - San Antonio, TX
Ok so Today I am 3 days post op and my surgeon told me to follow a liquid diet for 2 weeks again like when I was pre op. The problem is that I having a lot gas pain and I feel full with just a few ounces of liquid :( I am not getting enough liquid like water and my protein because I can't drink it like when I was pre op : ( I am worried that I am not getting enough calories. Does this changes? I still feeling sore but not being hungry worries me. I really NEED to drink my daily protein and that is not happening. Any suggestions to make this easier? I don't want to have anemia because of not eating well. For the gas I been walking to see if that helps. TIA

acbbrown
on 11/26/11 12:42 pm - Granada Hills, CA
don't worry about protein and calories right now - just stay hydrated. After a week or so, the swelling with go down and you'll be able to get more in. Right now, sip sip sip. Every few minutes, take a little sip.

I thought I had to get my protein in at first, and it made me nauseous so I couldn't even drink water, but i ended up in the hospital for dehydration. Then I learned that my doc was wrong - i wasn't going to die or suffer any consequences if i didn't get sufficient nutrition for a couple days.

Do your best - just stay hydrated. Everything you are going through is totally normal right now.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

amberk82
on 11/26/11 12:45 pm
I had alot of gas problems too...I know how u feel...the first 3 days I couldnt eat much at all as far as broth and stuff goes. All I ate was a few popsocles and my crystal light, It is hard to get it all in, but I promise it will get easier each and every day!!!

kimbethin
on 11/26/11 1:00 pm - CA
I agree with the other posts completely.   Don't worry about protein or cals or how much you can drink at one time.  Small sips all day long will get you where you need to be.  The gas gets better.  I was the queen of burps for a few weeks.  Every day really does get a little bit better.  The walking is a great idea keep it up.  It sounds like you are doing a great job so far!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
sunnymicki
on 11/26/11 1:47 pm
My surgeon's goal for the first week is to get at least 64 oz of fluid, including one protein drink/day.   He recommended drinking the protein drink later in the day after you were well on the way to getting all your fluids in, because the protein can be so filling.  So what you are going through is normal!  He was very clear that fluids were more important than protein at that stage.  Just keep on sipping!

Also, another "just in case" note: I couldn't tolerate milk at first.  Once I switched to making my protein drinks with lactaid or water, I had much less digestive upset/gas.  Now I can do the milk, but couldn't right away.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Mammamia1290
on 11/26/11 9:37 pm, edited 11/26/11 9:37 pm
I also had trouble getting my protein drinks the first few weeks. I only could get down 35ishg at firs****er didn't sit well either. My favorite drink was gatorade. I drank the normal kind in the beginning bc I wasn't eating or drinking any of value anyways. I know I was getting dehydrated but the Gatorade made me and my stomach feel better. It still my go to drink at 8 months later and I'm down 125lbs. Best thing I've every done. Good luck:0)
julesGA
on 11/26/11 9:56 pm, edited 11/26/11 9:57 pm - Brunswick, GA
 I have a cup of something to drink nearby all of the time.   It may take me an hour to drink 16 ounces but so be it, I am drinking.    Have you tried drinking something warm?   I have found the warm chicken broth goes down easier and feels oh so good when I have gas.   I bought some of those cartons of Swanson broth, heat up a cup at a time, and stir in a tiny bit of "Better than Boullion" to give it a richer flavor.  I then put it in an insulated mug so it it will stay warm while I take my time sipping it. 

abrown8434
on 11/26/11 11:46 pm - VA
My surgeon said that the first week or so you need to focus on staying hydrated not protein. He said he would be very surprised if anyone gets all their protein during the first two weeks.

You don't have to worry about the anemia part to your further out. Just make your protein shakes and sip, sip, sip frequently. Do the best you can. Eat sugar free popsicles, broth and whatever liquid your doctor prescribes and focus on hydration. Don't overdo it because you are very, very swollen and your stomach needs to heal.

Not feeling hungry, especially in the beginning, is one of the perks of VSG. Most of the hunger hormone ghrelin has been removed w/ your excess stomach so many don't feel hungry initially--your surgeon should have told you that. Also, the IV medicines, fluids and pain medicines also contribute to your not feeling hungry.

Your main focus now is recovery and rest. Walk frequently and sip, sip, sip SLOWLY; do not overdo it! Dehydration not protein is your main concern early out. Good luck!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

jacreasy
on 11/26/11 11:53 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
 abrown8434, I see you have lost 55ish lbs CONGRATS! 
abrown8434
on 11/27/11 12:48 am - VA
Thanks! When I saw that number on the scale this morning I wanted to faint! Now it is back on to trying to lose even more and reving up the exercise!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Most Active