Reflux and belching at 13 days post op?

bathoria
on 12/6/11 2:04 pm, edited 12/6/11 2:05 pm - San Antonio, TX
 Ok so I was sleeved 11/23 and since surgery I been having an horrible burning sensation in the mornings,bad reflux but as soon as I take my Nexium is gone. But the chest pain due to gas has become a nightmare   . I have GERD prior surgery and I know  this might not change until a year or so. Any suggestions to relieve gas post op besides walking? Anyone who has experinece this who had GERD prior surgery? Thanks in advance my sleeve sisters ^_^ I am not sure of this is normal,anyhow I willmention this to my surgeon.

huggers33
on 12/6/11 3:29 pm - Windsor, Canada
I was sleeved 9/22 and I was in your shoes.  I was hospitalized 5 times due to excess gas and GERD.

Prevacid did not work for me so I ended up having IV Pantaloc for a week, then I switched to the Pantaloc pills, one in the morning and one in the evening, and I take a GasX before bed.  I have had no issues since then. 

My surgeon also prescribed Domperidone, which is taken 1/2 before meals and it helped as well, but I only take the Pantaloc now because it is working fantastic.  It is the medication I was on before surgery too.  I had severe GERD prior and horrible GERD after.  I feel your pain.

I hope you take care of it soon, it does get very irritating and uncomfortable if not controlled.
camietam
on 12/6/11 4:02 pm - Ceres , CA
We were sleeved the same day. My esophagus pain was extremely bad too.  I have to take 40mg Prilosec every morning with warm tea or broth. My recovery has been never hard you can read my blog. I also blog a tracking of what I have been eating & drinking.
Camie

BETHC500
on 12/6/11 10:55 pm
Gax X-strips help alot

sedonagirl67
on 12/6/11 11:41 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Oh, how I remember those days!  I feel for your pain!  At one year post op, I still deal with nausea, belching, etc. but it's a lot better than it used to be....I'm a stealth burper now...lol

Things that have helped me...

1.  Drinking warm decaf/herbal teas, taking ginger root (right now you can't do capsules but I would recommend getting some ginger tea...this time of year, you can find a mild tasting Ginger Snap Celestial Seasonings herbal tea at the grocery store). 

2.  Lying down on my side with the heating pad on my sides and stomach also helps.  In fact, heating pad on the stomach when I am sitting helps me too.

3.  I take Protonix 40 mg a day and it helps a lot.  Have been on the PPI merry go round with Nexium (which I can't take because it interferes with my Celexa) and Prevacid, etc.  I had to battle insurance to cover the Protonix 40 mg but it has been worth it for me.

I have a prescription for sucralfate too (which coats your stomach to sooth it) but because you have to take it 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after, I have never taken it.  But it's nice to have it around as an insurance policy.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Take care!

Laurie
Laurie  

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."  TH Thompson & John Watson

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views