I think deep down I already knew...

Magenta73
on 1/20/12 7:18 am
 So, I had my sleep test last night, and it was REALLY awful. I tossed and turned, crazy wires everywhere, plugs up my nose, too firm of  a bed so my hips started to ache. I said "never again!".

I spoke too soon. I had my follow-up today, and expected the dr. to tell me I just needed to get more hours of sleep a night. I currently go to bed around midnight and my alarm starts going off at 4:15 in the morning.

No such luck. It turns out I have EXTREME sleep apnea, and I stopped breathing for 30 seconds out of every minute!!! Holy cow, how does that even happen? I mean, I do get tired in the afternoon, or when I am driving for long distances, and sometimes I can't remember what I ate this morning, but geez! 

I don't know if I am more upset about having to do another sleep test next week or having to wear a machine on my face. My eyes actually started tearing up when he told me. It's probably something so silly to be upset about, lots of people have sleep apnea.

This usually goes away with weight loss, right????
Mini.me
on 1/20/12 7:22 am
I'm so sorry that you are upset by this, but WOW!  What a difference that machine is going to make. 

My husband was also diagnosed with Sleep Apnea a little over a year ago.  He also had a severe case.  It took a night or two to get used to, but his sleep is so much better.  He wakes up refreshed & has so much more energy.

It may go away/lessen with weightloss, but it may not (my husband is a very normal weight) ... either way, it's good to have the diagnosis & know that there is a tool to help you. 

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

MeganP
on 1/20/12 7:24 am
My sleep apnea totally went away after I lost about 50 pounds. Don't worry. The CPAP will help you feel better in the meantime but you probably won't have to use forever. Good luck!

Magenta73
on 1/20/12 7:25 am
 Thank you, I needed to hear that. I think after the night I went through, and not having slept since then, I might be just a tad oversensitive right now. They asked me if I wanted to do the test with the cpap tonight and I was like "No! I need to get some sleep!"

Trust me, the irony is not lost on me with that last statement. 
Elaine2
on 1/20/12 7:34 am - Atlanta, GA
Although it looks grim right now (another test and a machine), you're lucky to get the diagnosis. SA is so very hard on the heart----untreated can be so dangerous!

My diagnosis is similar to yours. I've used a machine for 6 years now (BiPap instead of a CPap). You get used to it---give it a week. You'll be stunned at how much better you'll feel with a good night's sleep.

Lots of folks here have posted that they were able to lose the machine with weight loss so maybe you'll be lucky. In my case---Dr. doesn't think so---structural problems, he said.

Good Luck----the 2nd test will be easier than the 1st!

MzNuLifeCW
on 1/20/12 7:37 am
 its a possibility it can go away with weight loss but not a guarantee. most of the time when you have lost 20% of your weight they will retest you to see if you still have sleep apnea.. well at least my doctor do. not every doctor is the same so you may want to ask about retesting after your surgery. im glad you found out about your sleep apnea in time.it is a real serious issue that people are not aware of and is life threatening. i know youdo not want to go back but just think of the outcome. your body will get the proper rest, your health will improve, and you will feel so much better! think positive and i wish you nothing but success in the now and future! 
sleevegirl
on 1/20/12 10:00 am - Austin, TX
I haven't used my machine in a month. It bugs me but they won't do the re-test until I'm a year out. Hubby says I don't really even snore anymore...

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Jaybee766
on 1/20/12 10:48 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
I'm pre-op and i have to say that i LOVE my cpap.  I remember life before and how I felt "normal" but just thought I snored alot. I have to say - my first morning after a full night with my cpap was amazing. I thought the color of the trees was brighter.  I definitely felt more awake than I could ever remember - if that even makes sense.  It was amazing and I get angry when we have a power outage and I have to go back to my interupted sleep.  I know that it takes some getting used to but I wouldn't trade it....until of course I'm post op and down in size
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

happyteacher
on 1/20/12 11:09 am
 Hi there,

I am sorry to read you had a rough night.  I worked in a sleep lab for more than a decade so I thought I would offer some support.  Since you do wake up so much you are far more aware of the equipment.  The good news is, when you wear the mask you will not wake up so much so the time will pass more quickly (for most all patients).  The techs will need to adjust the pressure so you may wake up a bit over the first few hours during this process, but once you get to sleep and they are able to get your pressure near prescription level you should get the best sleep ever!  

Just a side note.  I used to see this all the time... people go into deep restorative sleep for the first time in lord knows how long.  In the morning, you wake up crazy groggy due to the deep sleep.  Give yourself a a few minutes or a little more to wake up.  You should notice later in the day how much more energy you have!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

lovetoread
on 1/20/12 11:57 am, edited 1/20/12 11:58 am - East Amherst, NY
I also have (or possibly had - I have an appointment to see my sleep doc again next week) severe sleep apnea. Something like an average of 69 "episodes" (times when my breathing would stop)  every hour. This explains why I would fall asleep at stop signs on my way home from work.

I want you to know that I LOVE my Cpap machine. I haven't slept without it even one night since I got it 3 years ago. When you go for the 2nd sleep test and actually use the Cpap you might wake up more refreshed than you've been for a long time. I think you will really like it and how you feel when you use it. And - people sometimes lose their CPap after losing weight.

I don't know if I want to lose mine!  I've grown very attached to it!!
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views