Can food stamps be used to buy protein shakes?

happyteacher
on 2/11/12 1:38 am
 Thank you everybody for the posts- didn't mean to offend anyone :(

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

lovePINK24
on 2/11/12 2:30 am - Baltimore, MD
yup. ive always bought my atkins shakes with them.

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/12 3:36 am - CA
Costco now takes the food "stamps" card. My sister gets it cause shes a single parent. I tried, and even though I make under the poverty level, I only qualified for $16 a month! Anyway, my sister will sometimes buy me the premier protein shakes at Costco with her card. So, if your sis does have the surgery, she should be okay on protein drinks. :)
abrown8434
on 2/11/12 11:16 am - VA
Someone posted this on the main message board and I hope it helps.

http://www.meltingmama.net/wls/2009/08/bariatric-advantage-l aunches-highly-anticipated-recover-program-through-obesity-a ction-coalition.html

Bariatric Advantage seems to have some program for those who cannot afford vitamins. I don't know the details but the above site should help.

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Tac211
on 2/11/12 10:32 pm - NJ
Well everyone I work at the Divison of Social Services (Welfare) and I wish I was eligible for them myself. And yes u can use them for pre made shakes.
J. Garcia
on 3/24/12 10:44 am
 I just got market pantry brand whey protien powder at target with food stamps 16.19 they had vanilla chocolate and strawberry. The clerk told me anything that has nutritional value label can be bought w snap. It's the protien powder with the supplement value label you are unable to use. 
sleevegirl
on 3/24/12 11:16 am, edited 3/24/12 11:16 am - Austin, TX
LOL! I read the title to this and cracked my knuckles to get ready to go on a tear about teacher's salaries (my husband is a 2nd year teacher, yeah, midlife crisis career change and he's the happiest he's ever been... too bad our bank account isn't LOL!).

Anyway... I should hope you can buy shakes and the mixes with food stamps. My good... the recipients can buy all kinds of crap food, you'd think... right?

To clarify: I've got absolutely nothing against welfare or food stamps. I'm glad it's available to people that truly need it because one day that person could be me... I was talking in general - I'm always appalled at the stuff people buy and call food. Welfare or not. The grocery store is one big perservative as far as I can tell.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Alikat14
on 2/25/17 3:40 am

To those of us who do work and receive this benefit protein powder would be a healthy option to someone needing to take off weight due to their health...its not all crap.

Leslie Stout
on 9/2/12 3:51 am - IA
I'm in the same position Angela....I only get $16 worth of stamps being on disability as well.  I've tried all kinds of protein powders and I have't found anything yet that I've found that I can tolerate or doctor it to the point I can tolerate it.  Can't afford to keep buying this stuff at this rate!

eallen3
on 7/5/13 9:00 am

I'm truly happy that I found this post. Because i was wondering if I could purchase this with my food (snap) stamps card. I'm a single mother of 3 and my income is the only thing coming to the table no support from (sperm donar). So I knew it may be hard to get the Protien shakes. I know you can get the bars but wondered bout the shakes.. Glade to see this... :)

HEADING TO THE FUTURE.. THE FUTURE ME IN THE PRESENT!!!

Most Active