Appeal to Working Moms

mamatothree
on 2/23/12 12:03 am - Charleston, SC

Ok, so let me clarify...all moms are working moms. I mean moms who work out of the house...

I am looking for interesting, fun, healthy meal ideas that I can make the night before that will help me get my protein in and still interest both me and my kids.

Thanks!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

MyOwnSunshine
on 2/23/12 12:30 am
One of my easy go-to dinners is turkey meatballs (I buy the big bag at Costco and keep it in the freezer) with Classico spahetti sauce and mozzarella cheese on top.  My daughter is a picky eater and doesn't really love pasta, but if she did, I would cook some noodles up for her and just eat the meatballs.

Trader Joe's has some great chicken skewers in their frozen section.  Again, if it was more than my daughter and I, I would make my own up with marinated chicken breast in advance and then bake or grill them before serving.

Cheeseburgers and tacos are also a quick and easy meal for us.  I make hers normally, but I buy the "live" butter lettuce, which lasts for a long time in the fridge, and wrap my burger or taco in a lettuce leaf.  I used to do tater-tots or french fries pre-sleeve, but now I just serve a fruit cup to her as a side dish. 

If I'm really pressed for time and have to go the fast food route, we go to Chik-fil-a.  I get their nuggets, which are breast meat that are minimally breaded, with some carrot raisin salad. 

Thanks for posting this -- I'd love to hear what other people do for a quick, easy, kid-friendly, sleeve-friendly meal.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
EmilyUT
on 2/23/12 6:05 am - UT
I love Chick-fil-A! We don't go out to eat very often, but when we do this is my kids' first choice. Have you tried the grilled nuggets yet? I haven't and wondered if they're good. Thanks for the other suggestions!

~Emily

Margo N.
on 2/23/12 2:11 am
I have a few ideas, and also recommend you look at the bento box lunches on www.worldacordingtoeggface.com  I eat that way a lot, incorporating leftovers and my staple snacks such as cheese wedges or sticks, nuts, berries etc.

1. I am the leftover queen when it comes to lunches. I usually pack my lunch into tupperware or whaever right away when I fix dinner, when I am serving up everybody's meal.

2. I also like slice of turkey or roast beef rolled up around a cheese and/or veggie stick with a dab of mustard or mayo. Quick, easy and full of protein.

3. Tuna or salmon salad, with or without a couple of crackers, or celery sticks or cucumber slices. Sometimes I make cucumber slices marinated in rice vinegar and bit of sesame oil and eat that with my salmon salad, Yummy.

4. I often make or buy a rotisserie / roast chicken and use it for chicken salad, or just have roast chicken pieces with a little mayo and a side of vegetable. Fast and easy.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

mamatothree
on 2/25/12 3:30 am - Charleston, SC
Thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate it! Keep 'em coming.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active