Are there any diseases/illnesses that could not be treated because you are sleeved?

bbearsmama
on 4/9/12 8:46 am
RNY on 02/28/13
I know--I'm thinking  far into the future. But that is why I'm doing this--to extend my life.

So my question is--are there any potential illnesses that would not be able to be treated due to being sleeved?  I'm thinking of the big things--like-organ transplants, cancer treatments, etc. For example, would we be at risk for being malnourished more than a non-sleeved person if we were going through cancer treatments?

I know that being obese is absolutely dangerous but I would just hate for my doctor to say (in the future), "We would like to try this treatment-but we can't because you've been sleeved." Common sense tells me that this wouldn't be the case because our anatomy has remained intact--we just have a smaller stomach.

When comparing RNY to the sleeve-do you think it would be easier to treat most life-threatening diseases if one is sleeved (as opposed to the RNY)? I know that arthritis could be difficult to treat if one  has RNY also.

I ask these things because cancer runs in my family (on both sides) and because I do suspect that I have some kidney problems. My father has kidney issues and his nephrologist told him that a transplant was a very real possibility for him.

But at the same time-I know that being obese is making me at risk for so many horrible illnesses as well.

Thank you all for your advice!

Sincerely,
Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Missy30
on 4/9/12 9:23 am
VSG on 06/27/12
I do not know, but just wanted to say thanks for posting this, I have often wondered the same thing.  I think because some things mainly cancer runs in my family.

bbearsmama
on 4/9/12 10:27 am
RNY on 02/28/13
Whew--I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I just don't want to "back myself into a corner" (so to speak) when it comes to other health issues that might arise based on my family history.

BriarRose
on 4/9/12 9:38 am
I chose a sleeve because I have severe arthritis, and asthma. I end up on prednisone several times a year, which is not well tolerated by RNY. I also take antiinflamatory meds that cannot be taken with a RNY.

For me, it was the only way to go.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
INgirl
on 4/9/12 9:49 am
I can't think of one, and I did the same long-long-long term thinking. There are no med restrictions with the sleeve (lots with RNY).. and even worst-case scenario and stomach cancer hits- people can and do live with total gastrectomies.. so no, I really couldn't then and still can't think of any..
bbearsmama
on 4/9/12 10:24 am
RNY on 02/28/13
I remember someone else posting about complete gastrectomies, which made me feel so much better!

fayhog2001
on 4/9/12 10:05 am - TX
VSG on 03/21/12 with
I actually asked my doctor this question before my surgery and he told me that stomach ulcers/cancer would be the only thing and most ppl get stomach cancers in the more stretchy part of the stomach in which case they perform a "sleeve" like procedure to remove that portion...and like the poster above mentioned, sleeve is better than RNY because we can still take meds to help with RA and Arthritis, etc
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 3:48 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
i had/have gastric ulcers and erosion ONLY on the stretchy part of my stomach, and i can't wait to get the vsg to get rid of it.  hopefull they won't migrate over to the non stretchy part.  although i'd think that the stress and anxiety of waiting to have something terrible happen because i'm overweight will be gone afterwards and i won't make as much acid.  (my ulcers are stress related and not h.pylori)
kimbethin
on 4/9/12 10:06 am - CA
Hi Pam,
 I'm an oncology nurse, with a cancer history on both sides of my family.  The sleeve would not make it more difficult to treat cancer.  It just needs to be part of your medical history that you should give any MD that you see.  There is a lot of literature now about how difficult it is to treat obese patients who have cancer and about how obesity increases your risk of many types of cancer and decreases your chance for early diagnosis because of not noticing signs a normal sized person would see, or delaying or avoiding routine check-ups because of shame related to weight or physician bias against obesity.  Your kidney function should be monitored after vsg even if you don't have a family history of kidney problems.  I don't believe a vsg patient who follows guidelines for protein or fluid is any more at risk for kidney disease or would have a more difficult time with treatment.  People with severe ulcers or stomach cancer have been getting nearly the same procedure that we get for about 50 years or more and go on to lead normal lives.  My firm belief going into this was that I was saving myself from many more bad health issues than this would contribute to or cause for me in the future.
Good luck!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Pooch2
on 4/9/12 10:22 am
Its enchoraging to know this Kim, thanks for posting it...
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Most Active