Elina can you share your thoughts

skinniwithin
on 4/11/12 11:31 am
 Thanks for all the advice and help you offer here.  I've been reading way more than posting but I cam across this quote of yours and wondered if you could expound on your preferences and why you have them.

Thanks

"What are your thoughts on a tight sleeve?  There are two camps, the tighter the better camp and the looser less complications right after surgery camp, which are you?  In other words, how close to you cut to the top and bottom of the stomach? And do you re-sect the bottom portion of the stomach to get closer to the pyloric valve?  I would want to know details of the surgery because every surgeon is different and I have strong opinions about what I would want."
Sheryl G.
on 4/11/12 11:34 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/12 11:58 am
I know this could blow up in my face and start a "my sleeve is better than your sleeve war" however, I think you ask an important question and I think you deserve my best answer.  I prefer a tighter sleeve.  The reason for this is that over time, I have noticed that I absolutely can eat more and that makes maintenance harder.  The sleeve is only a tool, but a very powerful tool, over time, it becomes more you and less the sleeve that is doing all the work.  I believe that a smaller tighter sleeve continues to be a more powerful tool in the long run.  I think it is relatively easy to lose weight with almost any type of sleeve in the first six months or so, later, down the road, larger capacity requires greater vigilance.  None of us has been great with vigilance over food or we would not need the surgery in the first place.  I think a tighter sleeve offers us a better shot at future maintenance.  This does not mean that people with larger sleeves can't get to goal or maintain their weight, it just means that it might be harder to do so.

Smaller, tighter sleeves are technically harder to make correctly and I would never ask a surgeon to go out of their comfort zone and make a smaller sleeve.  However, for me personally, a smaller sleeve is what I wanted so that meant choosing a doctor that is known for making tighter sleeves.

Boughie sizes are only one thing to consider when looking at tighter sleeves.  The surgeons technique and where they cut (at the top and bottom of the stomach) are just as important. 

Those are my opinions based on observation over four years and my personal research.  Your opinions may be different. 
skinniwithin
on 4/11/12 10:10 pm
 Thanks.  I'm still new to this so all answers help and direct me to further research.
Most Active