VSG and Pregnancy

Carly A.
on 4/13/12 2:23 pm
 Hello everyone!

I am in the phase of researching different options for WLS. I am leaning far towards the sleeve. 

One of the last things that I am wondering about it, is if it will affect my ability to have children, or if it will affect the health of my baby while I am pregnant (when I decide to have one). I am only 20, so it won't be for a few years, but it something I believe is important. 

If anyone has any knowledge on it, I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks all!

-Carly
Shagdoll
on 4/13/12 2:26 pm
Hi Carly,
I was told by my surgeon to wait 18 months after VSG to have kids. I dont plan on having kids anytime soon but I guess it was good info for me to know!
Carly A.
on 4/13/12 2:40 pm
 I think I saw that somewhere online, but I am glad to hear it from a real person. You can not always believe everything you read on the internet. Haha.

Thank you!
JV_ladybug
on 4/13/12 2:47 pm - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 04/10/12
 Prior to surgery, I was given a little booklet of what they expected of me after the surgery. One of those things was for me to be put on TWO types of birth control. I kinda lol'd but eh, whatever. I have heard of people having kids after having the VSG, but like Shagdoll said, it's advised that a person wait 18 months - 2 years before having a child.

Starting: 284. Op Day: 264. Current: 185.80. Goal: 180.
Main goal: To be able to take the "morbidly" out.
SassyItalian
on 4/13/12 2:47 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
This was one of my concerns also as I am in my 20's.

You having the VSG now will allow you a healthier pregnancy later. It is pretty clear cut. Studies show obese mothers who give birth increase their children's risk of autism, diabetes, obesity, and many other illnesses. You will also have a healthier pregnancy at a normal weight.

The issue with bariatric surgery and pregnancy is you really must wait until you are in maintenance, eating enough each day to maintain your weight, nourish your baby, and stay out of ketosis. Ketosis can greatly harm a fetus so this is why you are told to wait. Your body is in ketosis when it is using up its fat stores, in the losing phase.

So the lesson is, wait 18 months before you have a baby or until you are able to eat enough for maintenance.

And a word of warning! Make sure you are using protection, multiple sources are better (condoms and Birthcontrol) because fertility increases as you lose weight and we have seen alot of the "Im 3 months out and pregnant" posts.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Carly A.
on 4/13/12 3:00 pm
 Thank you both for the information! 

I usually use two forms anyway, just in case. It is good to know all of that Information. Thank you both, very much.
Alicia L.
on 4/14/12 11:34 am - Wichita, KS
 Getting pregnant was the reason I had VSG in the first place.  I had such horrible PCOS that my husband and I were contemplating IVF. I talked to the surgeon, and he said VSG was an excellent option because I would lose the weight quickly and be stable for a longer time (as opposed to the lap band).

Originally, the doctor said I needed to wait 18 months after surgery to get pregnant, but when I went back for my 9 month post op appointment, he told me I was completely healed (I had also stopped losing weight), and if we wanted to start trying, he was okay with it.  I am also 34 years old, so time was really not on my side.

Well, long story short, when I went back for my one year follow up, I was 8 weeks pregnant!  I got pregnant on my first cycle off the pill.  I'm 29 weeks and due in July (19 months post op).  My only advice would be the same as everyone else's, and to not skip your birth control if you're not ready to get pregnant!

Find me on facebook: facebook.com/shoppinggirl
I also routinely update my blog, www.memyselfandalicia.com
Carly A.
on 4/14/12 9:32 pm
 That is so helpful! Thank you very much. How is the sleeve working for you?
Alicia L.
on 4/15/12 11:54 am - Wichita, KS
 I love having sleeve, loved it from about day 5.  The first three days were hell, I couldn't believe what I had done to myself.  After that, once I really got the hang of sipping, sipping, and more sipping, It was better.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all sunshine and roses.  I had to completely re-learn how to eat, and how to listen to my body to know when to stop eating.  I still have all my notes from my nutritionist, and after this baby comes, I'm completely going back to basics to lose the baby weight.

My husband and I are going through the Bradley Method of Childbirth classes, and a lot of the dietary suggestions are very close to what I learned from my nutritionist.

I am thankful every day that my husband and I had the means to make this surgery happen (our insurance doesn't cover it at all, we had to pay cash).  My blood pressure is consistently 104/60, I passed my glucose challenge test (the test for gestational diabetes) with flying colors, and generally a much healthier person.  29 weeks into pregnancy, and I'm still taking and teaching taekwondo classes, and I'm also still taking (and learning to teach) belly dance classes.  There's no way I could have done that 80 pounds heavier AND pregnant.

Go for the VSG.  You'll love it.

Find me on facebook: facebook.com/shoppinggirl
I also routinely update my blog, www.memyselfandalicia.com
Carly A.
on 4/15/12 12:26 pm
 The more I learn about the VSG, the more I think that it is the right one for me. Thank you, again, for your help.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views