Is sugar really public enemy #1?

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/27/12 6:17 am
Interesting article.  I have heard much of it before.  And it's just another reason for me to stay away from sugar... I have many.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/27/health/soda-obesity/index.html ?hpt=hp_c2

What do you think?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Mom4Jazz
on 4/27/12 6:47 am
I try to stay away from added sugars as much as possible, because it works well for me. Sugary foods give me rebound hunger and carb cravings. I dunno about public enemy number one, but it's not the best food in the world.

I do have a piece of dark chocolate now and then. Like half a serving.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Anne D.
on 4/27/12 7:43 am
I think so, yes. Followed closely by grains. For me anyway!

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/12 8:19 am
White carbs, totally the worst!!!
Carmelita
on 4/27/12 8:26 am - Four Corners, NM
 As a former ( VSG!) Type II diabetic....hell yeah its public enemy #1

As a former diet-coke aholic....and frequent  "sugar-free" food consumer post op....aspartame/artificial sugars are just as deadly!....stevia

Towards the end.
http://www.hungryforchange.tv/first-20-minutes
Happy966
on 4/27/12 8:27 am

There's thems that can handle it, then there's me.  Just between you and me (and OH), I think there's more here of us-uns that can't handle it, then thems that can. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

slimpickins5280
on 4/27/12 8:46 am - CO
I wrote a 15 page paper on Obesity in Children for a master's program 8 years ago and found some very interesting information.

For me sugar and anything "white" is the enemy. But, my children do not crave it.

This is a very big topic and I could spend hours talking about it, but I won't.

My brother did a very interesting test on the effects of white sugar. My oldest brother tried to pull his hand down to his side (my middle brother is very strong) and my oldest brother couldn't make it budge. He then put a tablespoon of white sugar into his hand and had him make a fist. With the white sugar in his hand, my oldest brother was able to push my middle brother's hand down to his side - with one hande.

Very sobering to watch.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Could_It_Be
on 4/27/12 10:06 am
 What does a fistful of sugar change?

VSG on 6/22/11
slimpickins5280
on 4/27/12 11:02 am - CO
Sugar can be absorbed in your skin and requires your body to expand more energy to process it then it gives - making it the ultimate "empty calorie" because it does not give anything in return. The body starts trying to process the sugar being absorbed through the skin and can no longer send that energy into the muscles in the arm making the arm weak. When you eat sugar, you might notice that you are hungry about 45 minutes later, maybe even more hungry then before you ate the sugary food. The reasoning is the same as the arm, only it is happening to your entire body.

Empty calories are different from negative calories. Negative calories also require more calories to burn than they offer. The difference is that the negative calorie food has a high nutritional value and offers vitamins and minerals that the body can use. The problem is that they are usually higher in carbs then my eating program can handle - at least during weightloss. Some people don't believe in negative calorie foods, but I tend to believe that if you watch the carbs, they work.

Short list of negative calorie foods:
  • Celery
  • Oranges
  • Strawberries
  • Tangerines
  • Grapefruit
  • Carrots
  • Apricots
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  • Watermelon
  • Cauliflower
  • Apples
  • Hot Chili Peppers
  • Zucchini

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Carmelita
on 4/27/12 12:01 pm - Four Corners, NM
 huh..I thought only fat soluble substances are able to penetrate skin...sun..Vitamin D3
some creams...then "patches" like nicotine patches...create a "sweat lodge" pores open up and oils put in the medication ...delivers it thru the skin that way ..that's the way nicotine patches was explained to me in the prehistoric days. 

I didn't know sugar was fat soluble. looks like no more Hershey Baths for ME then 

Most Active