I'm going to be tested..

INgirl
on 6/14/12 1:16 am
I'm heading out in a week or so for a two week trip to St John USVI, and as soon as we get back- into the car for a several day camp-out in upstate Wisconsin.. so almost 3 solid weeks of no checks & balances. I must admit to being just slightly nervous about this. I've not been away for more than a couple days from my tools (scale, food scale, logging.) 

I just am approaching my second goal, and that 10lbs from 155 to 145 took from April to now to achieve.. so I'm not too keen on backsliding at this point! Though in my mind, I know I will be active- snorkeling, hiking and such.. so many more opportunities to have fun past the food.. I am still slightly spooked being away from my stocked pantry. I will be bringing my Ostrim meat sticks, some protein supplements and vites.. but I am leery of the "vacation mode" of the past sneaking in.. I don't *think* it will be as much of an issue as it once was, and the biggest hurdle I see is the fruity-rummy beverages driving up the cals & carbs.. Though I am a lightweight, I tend to have one or two and forget this! (Learning the hard way, over and over..)

In the past- vacation meant: croissants and butter with jam for breakfast (only time I'd eat those wonderful things).. plenty of adult beverages, treats that struck my fancy- etc.. all because, "I'm on VACATION!" I would really love to come back at the same weight as I leave.. it'd be nice for a change.. or at the very least, just have some water-weight to deal with when I return.

Any tips welcome, both about staying on track on vacation, and if anyone's been to the USVI- any & all insider info appreciated!

loverofcats
on 6/14/12 1:36 am
I was going to post a similar scenario. I leave for a two week vacation next Monday, and will also be tested. It will be a combination of a car trip, along with 7 days on a river rafting trip. I will be going with a private group, so I will have some control over some of my meals, but I know there will be some restaurant fare along the way. I have bought some healthy snacks, like low sodium turkey jerky, packets of salmon, Kind bars, some nuts, and I will be able to bring along NF yogurt and some protein powder.

What scares me, is being aware from my scales, that I use for weighing my food and my daily weight. Also, I won't have computer access, so there goes my tracking tool. I have made a conscious decision not to drink any alcohol. It just isn't worth it to me. Empty calories and increased fat formation. I used to drink on rafting trips, but not anymore.

I understand your fears and anxiety, since I am experiencing the same things. We will definitely be out of our comfort zones.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

INgirl
on 6/14/12 3:21 am
Thanks Gail, it's kinda a security blanket we have with the scales and such.. I *know* I can judge pretty well portions and whatnot, but just the thought of nearly three weeks without my "tools of the trade" sheesh!

Considering the heat that we're going to be going into here.. 90* days, not counting heat index, and whatnot, adult beverages are going to be very very limited, and likely only in the evening at our place.. Between trying to stay hydrated on the trails and in the water, plus driving on the left.. that's going to self-limit the alcohol in itself!
Krazydoglady
on 6/14/12 1:39 am, edited 6/14/12 1:40 am - FL
Sounds fabulous!

We're heading to Canada for 9 days in July with friends. I will be in much the same boat although in a different locale.  We're going to be in Prince Edward Island and Halifax. when we went to Halifax last fall I was 7 months post-op, and very much in "weightloss" mode.  I lost 3lbs while we were away.  I ate a lot of fish, swiss cheese, cottage cheese, and I took along protein bars.  I travel pretty frequently on the weekends, and I find that I naturally still follow the rules -- protein first, don't drink while eating, etc.,  My tolerance for adult beverages is pretty low (i.e., I'm the cheepest date ever), so I usually stick to a single glass of red wine.

I would think in the USVI you would have fish and fruit.  I recently added bananas to my diet.  Although they are pretty much all carbs, I find a single banana very satisfying and I don't get a 'sugar' reaction to them of any sort.  I would think if you do protein first and stick to seasonal and fresh foods saving the 'goodies' for last, you'll be fine.   A bite of croissant after an omlette isn't going to hurt you. 

That's kind of my strategy for eating generally. I don't deny myself anything, but if I'm going to stick a fork in a piece of cheesecake it's going to be when I'm already 'full', and just a taste is going to be satisfying while anything more than a taste will make me feel oogie.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

INgirl
on 6/14/12 3:17 am, edited 6/14/12 3:21 am
I approach it kinda like you do- eat well first, then have a tiny treat. If I'm going to have fruit, it'd def be someplace like this- where the fruit really tastes the way it's supposed to!

Edited to add: Enjoy Canada!! Our last major trip was Ontario- about 5 years ago, loved it and so want to get back there now that I can hike, back then I couldn't.. so I feel like I missed out on a lot of adventure!
Faye56
on 6/14/12 2:13 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
You've got this Jo! You will probably come back with a weight loss.
Have a wonderful time.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

INgirl
on 6/14/12 3:16 am
 Thanks Faye, wouldn't that be a treat for once!
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/12 3:00 am
I have an idea! I'll tag along and be your personal watch dog. We can hang out on the beach, go out on all sorts of caribbean adventures. I promise not to interfere with your family. I'll just hang out in the background inconspicuously. However, should you go off plan, into the foreground I'll jump and slap the crap food out of your hand and scold you! Sound like a plan!

Have a wonderful tropical vacation! You so have this! Just the fact that your worried is telling enough! I'm envious of such a wonderful few weeks!
INgirl
on 6/14/12 3:15 am
You know, this could be a lucrative side business plan.. diet chaperone. Hmm...

Thanks for the encouragement, and the visual of you bounding out of the water to smack a hot conch fritter out of my paws!
Chris Waffle
on 6/14/12 3:31 am - Cypress, CA
I'm going to vegas for a week next month and I've been thinking about the same thing. My plan was to eat whatever I wanted but then counteract it with as much exercise as I could (walking/dancing/swimming/ect).  Good luck!!

Join me at #OH2013

HW: 375 SW: 295 CW: 195

I'm in it to win it!

Most Active