Overate, now I'm in pain. Worried about my sleeve

Rouxful
on 7/19/12 7:34 am
 So last night I had a bit too much to eat at a party. This wouldn't be the first time I overindulged with the sleeve, but it was different last time. I had a dull pain in my chest and an ache in my upper back. It hurt slightly when I burped and swallowed. This morning the pain isn't nearly as bad, but it still feels almost like I bruised my esophageal sphincter. I'm two states away and the only thing my insurance covers is the ER, which I don't feel like I need right now. I don't feel sick, I can still eat normally and drink, it's just slightly achy. Has anyone had this happen before and should I be racing to an out of state ER for a fluoroscopy or just cool it and maybe go on shakes for a few days? Any ideas?

Thanks!

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/12 7:42 am
Can't give you medical advice, sorry! If you're worried about your health, by all means go to the ER. Better safe than sorry!!!!

But..... your symptoms sound a lot like super bad indigestion. My brother went to the ER with similar symptoms - chest and back pain after eating a large meal (okay he gorged like a pig! He's MO, too). After a thorough check, it turned out he had extreme gastic distress from the over indulgence.

Hope you feel better soon!!!!!
Pkrplyr777
on 7/19/12 7:54 am - CT
Yeah, you have to be the judge of whether you need the er or not. But, I'm with Kairk...it's probably just really bad stress out on the sleeve.

Relax and see if it's better in the morning.
Maybe it's what you needed to remember not to eat so much? LOL
I know it took a really bad episode of puking for me, now...I don't eat so much. LOL

good luck to you.

donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Rouxful
on 7/19/12 8:03 am
 Thanks guys. I've heard that ripping your sleeve involves debilitating, excruciating pain. This is more like the dull ache after drinking too-hot liquid. I feel it in my esophagus more than anything else. Truth be told, I haven't thrown up once since having the sleeve. I don't think I've puked since 2006.

sleevegirl
on 7/19/12 8:25 am - Austin, TX
You are a year out, so I think the chance of you doing any real lasting damage from occasionally screwing up isn't going to happen. You're healed so the chance you did something is the same that someone with a normal stomach could have. It's a full muscle.

I'm betting on bad indigestion as well. I know I've eaten too much sometimes and had to back off and do soft or even mushies before. Usually totally unintentional, but just be careful. Hang in there! I think you're okay.

Special note: I'm not a medical professional

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

sunnymicki
on 7/19/12 8:35 am
Why not just give your surgeon's office a call and run it by them? 

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

foodlover
on 7/19/12 10:42 am
I agree with Sunny.  Just call your WLS and ask what they think.  they would know better than enyone else.
Rouxful
on 7/19/12 4:03 pm
 Cool, guys. Thanks. At this point, I'm feeling a lot better and had a normal meal with solids tonight without any issues so I think I might have just bruised my esophagus and my ego. 

Most Active