I finally made a decent protein iced coffee!

SleevedLife
on 8/17/12 6:39 am
I must just be seriously incompetent at making iced coffees.  I've tried so many different combos and techniques and could never get a palatable cup.  Finally, this morning, I'm drinking something I'd call delicious.  I thought I'd share my te*****ue here in can anyone else is struggling to get their personal formula down just right.

I put 20 oz of water in a blender ball cup.  I added one packet of Starbucks Via Decaf instant coffee.  Then I added 2 packets of Bariwise Hot Chocolate.  (The barwise makes this a sort of expensive treat... but it blends so nicely).    I shake like crazy for a couple of minutes and then pour it into a giant cup of crushed ice.   It is seriously YUMMY.

Everything blends well, the coffee flavor is there but not overpowering, and it's very chocolatey.

It's 160 calories, 30 grams of protein, 8 carbs, 2 fat.    Nice numbers, if you ask me!

Does anyone know of another protein that mixes super smooth and has no protein taste whatsoever?  I'm very picky about my protein, and most shakes have that *taste* that I just can't stand.   Bariwise hot chocolate is one of those rare finds that actually tastes awesome, but the downside is that it is kind of expensive. 

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

acbbrown
on 8/17/12 6:44 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I use this protein powder from GNC - Cellucor Supe Sport Performance Whey in vanilla. I put that in all my iced coffees (that im adding SF vanilla too) and Ive never really tasted anything different than when I make it with no protein powder. It blends in taste wise with every flavor ive tried - orange, chocolate, strawberry, PB - its expensive, but probably for a reason - it's good and high quality protein (130 cal, 30 g protein, minimal carb/fat)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

SleevedLife
on 8/17/12 6:48 am
Great- thank you!  I'll add that to my list of proteins to try. 

Do you know if they sell samples, or do I have to buy a big 5 lb jug? That is what always makes me nervous about trying a new protein powder -- getting stuck with a giant jug of something that I don't like.

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

acbbrown
on 8/17/12 6:54 am - Granada Hills, CA
 They dont sell samples. I wanted to puke when I bought my first bag because it was so freaking expensive - the poor guy though gave me a decent discount because I told him I cant possibly pay thtat much for something I dont know if Id like...I still paid a lot but it was the best gamble so far!

~~~~Alison~~~~~

SleevedLife
on 8/17/12 6:59 am
Thanks for this tip!  I was just reading reviews of it at GNCs website, and it seems that everyone loves it. They were saying that it blends really great, and doesn't leave any residue in their blender cups like most protein shakes. Also really simple/clean ingredients.  Getting a really good quality protein is worth some extra $$.  OK, I'm totally sold... I think I'll give it a try.  Per serving (at least the way I made this protein coffee, with two packets) it is actually a little cheaper than the hot chocolate.

Thanks again! This defintely seems worth a shot!

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

acbbrown
on 8/17/12 11:29 am - Granada Hills, CA
Im pretty picky as far as protein powders go (and actually refused to use any powders until about a year out) and this stuff is just simply amazing.

I like it because I can just use 1/2 serving and still get 15g protein so my iced coffees are just 65 cal and all protein :)   Makes the bag last longer too haha.

~~~~Alison~~~~~

SleevedLife
on 8/17/12 2:46 pm
 Ok, you werent kidding!!  I went out and got a smaller bag of this stuff and it is awesome!!! I've never had a powder mix like this before , it dissolves totally in my coffee and  has a great taste.  They only had vanilla in stock, so I will have to check out the chocolate next time.  Thanks for the great tip.  I now have two protein supplements that I like!!

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

tillmadd
on 8/17/12 8:21 am - WI
 I like Nectar cappicinno (sp?) it seems to blend well and has 24g of protein
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

tripmom02
on 8/17/12 10:49 am - NJ
 Yep, that's my go to flavor! Although recently I have been enjoying Optimum Nutrition Caramel Toffee (or something like that). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

JAlston
on 8/17/12 10:38 am
VSG on 12/07/12
I agree with the previous poster, Syntrax Nectar's cappuccino is yummy. No protein taste, no caffeine either.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views